Kevin Patrick Yeary
|Kevin Patrick Yeary|
|Place 4 Judge of the|
Texas Court of Criminal Appeals
Assumed office |
|Preceded by||Paul Womack|
September 8, 1966|
Cotulla, La Salle County, Texas, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Mary Suzanne "Suzy" Basey-Yeary|
Bexar County, Texas
St. Mary's University (Texas)|
St. Mary's University School of Law
Kevin Patrick Yeary (born September 8, 1966) is an American judge of the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, a nine-member body which serves as the court of last resort in state criminal cases. Yeary was elected to a six-year term in 2014 to succeed the retiring Judge Paul Womack.
His paternal grandfather, Harold R. Yeary (1908-1969), is the namesake for the library at Laredo Community College. Both Harold Yeary and Yeary's younger son, Amber Milton Yeary (born 1938), served as president of the Texas School Boards Association. Kevin Yeary's father is Harold R. Yeary, II (born 1935), a former dentist in Laredo.
In 1997, Yeary married Mary Susanne Basey (born 1969), a pediatrician in San Antonio. Together the couple has four daughters. Yeary is affiliated with Kappa Sigma fraternity and the Phi Alpha Delta law fraternity. He is a member of the Roman Catholic men's organization, the Knights of Columbus and was a member of the Catholic Lawyers Guild in San Antonio. He is a former board member of the Encino Park swim team.
For a year after law school, Yeary was the briefing attorney/law clerk for the late Texas Judge Bill M. White. Having practiced law since 1991, he is licensed by all Texas courts and most of the regional federal courts. He has argued cases before both the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals and the Texas Supreme Court, a civil body. He has authored appeal briefs in various cases, including those in which the death penalty was imposed. He has experience with applications for the writ of habeas corpus. Since 1998 until he joined the Court of Criminal Appeals, Yeary was an assistant district attorney for Bexar County. Earlier, he was an assistant DA in Harris and Dallas counties. From 2000 to 2008, he was an adjunct professor at San Antonio College.
Yeary faced two opponents for his party's nomination to the Court of Appeals in the primary election held on March 4, 2014. Yeary polled 600,220 votes (54.7 percent). Davis trailed with 307,124 (28 percent), and Wood received the remaining 190,910 votes (17.4 percent).
In the November 4 general election, with no Democratic opponent, Yeary polled 2,876,256 votes (76.2 percent); Quanah Parker and Judith Sanders-Castro (born 1949) of San Antonio, the nominees of the Libertarian and Green parties, respectively, held the remaining 23.8 percent of the ballots cast.
- "Kevin Patrick Yeary". Project Vote Smart. Retrieved December 19, 2014.
- "Kevin Patrick Yeary". linkedin.com. Retrieved December 18, 2014.
- "Republican primary election returns, March 4, 2014". Texas Secretary of State. Archived from the original on January 9, 2014. Retrieved December 18, 2014.
- "General election returns, November 4, 2014". Texas Secretary of State. Archived from the original on January 9, 2014. Retrieved December 18, 2014.
| Place 4 Judge of the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals
Kevin Patrick Yeary