|Broadcast area||Waco, Texas|
|Branding||1660 ESPN Radio|
|Translator(s)||99.1 K256BW (Waco)|
|First air date||January 9, 1998 (as KAXY)|
10,000 watts (day)|
1,000 watts (night)
|Transmitter coordinates||31°24′46.00″N 97°12′38.00″W / 31.4127778°N 97.2105556°W|
|Affiliations||ESPN Radio, Westwood One|
M&M Broadcasters |
(M&M Broadcasters, Ltd.)
|Sister stations||KLRK, KRQX, KWBT|
KRZI (1660 AM) is a radio station broadcasting a sports format. Licensed to Waco, Texas, United States, the station serves the Waco area. The station was formerly owned by Simmons Media Group which sold its entire Waco station cluster to M&M Broadcasters. KRZI features programming from ESPN Radio and Westwood One.
KRZI and its sister stations were formerly owned by a company named Simmons Media (now Red Rock Broadcasting). The transition was officially made in the summer of 2004. While the station airs local programming, roughly 75 percent is ESPN content. The stations have the broadcast rights for the NFL, the Texas Rangers, The Baylor Bears and NCAA Basketball and Football. Simmons, based in Salt Lake City, Utah, owns and operates Simmons Radio in Utah, Western Broadcasting, Simmons Lone Star Media, Simmons Outdoor Media, Simmons Ventures and the most prominent travel-related company in the Western United States, Morris Murdock Travel. KRZI is considered the de facto replacement for 1580 KQRL Waco, which was surrendered by M&M Broadcasters in order to upgrade and move 1590 KLRK Mexia further west in Limestone County, to cover Waco proper with its daytime signal.
The station was assigned the callsign KAXY on January 9, 1998. On August 30, 1999, the station changed its call sign to KRZX; then on October 7, 2004 it changed calls again to the current KRZI.
- "KRZI Facility Record". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- "M & M Broadcasters to buy Simmons Media's 4-station Waco, Texas group for nearly $2 million". Radio-Info.com. September 21, 2009.
- "KRZI Call Sign History". United States Federal Communications Commission, audio division.
- Query the FCC's AM station database for KRZI
- Radio-Locator Information on KRZI
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for KRZI
- Query the FCC's FM station database for K256BW
- Radio-Locator information on K256BW