K. N. Govindacharya
|K. N. Govindacharya|
K. N. Govindacharya
2 May 1943|
Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh
|Formerly Bharatiya Janata Party / Rashtriya Swabhiman Andolan (RSA)|
|Alma mater||Banaras Hindu University|
|Occupation||Social and political activist|
Kodipakam Neelameghacharya Govindacharya (born 2 May 1943) is a Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh pracharak, environmental activist, social activist, political activist and thinker. He was associated with Bharatiya Janata Party but is now a staunch critic of that party as much as he is a critic of the Indian National Congress.
K. N. Govindacharya became a member of the Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) in 1988 and for a period until 2000 he served as its General Secretary. He was forced to leave the BJP on the insistence of Prime Minister Vajpayee as he said Advani was calling the shots while the Prime Minister was just a mask. He insisted that the statement had been wrongly attributed to him, but Vajpayee, not impressed by the clarification, thought the damage to the party's image had been done, whether or not the quote was authentic.
Sabbatical leave and after
Disturbed by growing instances of corruption in the Indian polity and corporate sector, and the police crackdown on followers of Ramdev on 5 June 2011, a group of former journalists, student activists, child rights activists and social workers encouraged Govindacharya to form a grand alliance of 50 small and large political organisations from across the country on 25 June, the day remembered for the declaration and imposition of Emergency, that year. He was elected chairman of the new alliance, known as the Save Democracy Front (SDF).
- "Govindacharya Criticises Cong, BJP Over Corruption". news.outlookindia.com. Retrieved 2012-12-25.
- Mohua Chatterjee, TNN 9 June 2012, 04.30AM IST (9 June 2012). "Narendra Modi's bete noire, Sanjay Joshi stripped of party role - Times Of India". Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2012-12-25.
- "I never called Vajpayee mask of govt: Govindacharya". rediff.com. 23 January 2002. Retrieved 2012-12-25.
- "Midnight police swoop on Baba Ramdev ends protest". The Times Of. Times News Network. 5 June 2011. Retrieved 2012-12-25.
- Special Correspondent (28 December 2010). "NATIONAL / KARNATAKA : Rural economy needs to be stronger: Karandlaje". The Hindu. Retrieved 2012-12-25.