Barbato with the Pittsburgh Pirates
|Detroit Tigers – No. 51|
Born: July 11, 1992|
|April 5, 2016, for the New York Yankees|
|MLB statistics |
(through June 22, 2018)
|Earned run average||6.14|
John Edward Barbato (// bar-BAY-toh; born July 11, 1992) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Detroit Tigers of Major League Baseball (MLB). He has previously pitched for the Pittsburgh Pirates and the New York Yankees.
Barbato attended Felix Varela High School in Miami, Florida. He received a scholarship from the University of Florida. The San Diego Padres selected him in the sixth round of the 2010 Major League Baseball draft, and he signed with San Diego rather than attend college.
New York Yankees
The Padres traded Barbato to the New York Yankees for Shawn Kelley on December 29, 2014. The Yankees added him to their 40-man roster after the 2015 season. He made his major league debut on April 5, 2016. He was optioned to the AAA Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders on May 9, 2016, recalled on August 4, and sent back again on August 6. In 13 games with the Yankees in 2016, Barbato had a 1–2 record with a 7.62 ERA.
Barbato was designated for assignment by the Yankees at the start of the 2017 season and sent to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. He was subsequently traded to the Pittsburgh Pirates on April 17, 2017 in exchange for Matt Frawley. In 24 relief appearances for the Pirates, Barbato posted a 4.08 ERA with 23 strikeouts in 28 2⁄3 innings.
On January 11, 2018, Barbato was claimed off waivers by the Detroit Tigers. After starting the season with the AAA Toledo Mud Hens, Barbato was called up on April 26 and made his Tigers debut the following night against the Baltimore Orioles. Barbato was next called up on May 30, 2018. He was called up again on June 20, 2018. After giving up five earned runs in less than an inning two days later, Barbato was placed on the 10-day disabled list with shoulder tightness. He failed to mention previously that the injury had been bothering him all season, which left manager Rod Gardenhire somewhat perplexed since he asked to throw a light bullpen session earlier that day.
- "SWB RailRiders Opening Day Roster". 6 April 2017.
- "'Under the radar' Barbato earns chance with the New York Yankees".
- "Yanks trade Shawn Kelley for minor leaguer". ESPN.com. Retrieved February 17, 2016.
- "Yankees protect three from Rule 5 Draft". New York Yankees. Retrieved February 17, 2016.
- "Yankees' Johnny Barbato reveals what he was told when he was demoted".
- "Johnny Barbato traded to Pirates by Yankees".
- "Yankees Acquire Matt Frawley From Pirates". MLB Trade Rumors.
- Fenech, Anthony (January 11, 2018). "Tigers Detroit Tigers claim Johnny Barbato off waivers from Pittsburgh Pirates". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved January 12, 2018.
- Henning, Lynn (April 27, 2018). "Reliever Barbato roughed up by Orioles in Tigers debut". Detroit News. Retrieved May 4, 2018.
- "Tigers' Johnny Barbato: Brought back to majors". CBSSports.com. Retrieved 2018-05-30.
- "RHP Johnny Barbato hopes third Tigers call-up is charm". Detroit News. Retrieved 2018-06-24.
- "Tigers place Barbato on DL after playing hurt". Detroit News. Retrieved 2018-06-24.
- "Gardenhire baffled by Barbato's injury admission". Detroit News. Retrieved 2018-06-24.