Jiangxi cuisine (Chinese: 江西菜; pinyin: Jiāngxī cài), also known as Gan cuisine (赣菜; 贛菜; gàncài), is derived from the native cooking styles of Jiangxi province in southern China.
- Spiciness: Like the cuisines of its neighbour provinces, Jiangxi cuisine favours overtly spicy tastes. In many regions in Jiangxi, chili peppers are directly used as vegetables instead of ingredients to enhance flavour, as in most other Chinese regional cuisines.
- Absence of cold or raw dishes: Cold or raw dishes are rarely served in Jiangxi cuisine as compared to other Chinese cuisines.
- Fish banquets: Jiangxi cuisine is famous for its freshwater fish banquets in contrast with Northeastern Chinese cuisine, which is known for its anadromous fish banquets. This is due to Jiangxi's geographical location, as there are many freshwater zones in the province.
- Fermented black beans and beancurd: There is emphasis on the utilisation of douchi (fermented black beans) and tofu (beancurd) in comparison with other Chinese cuisines. Fried tofu is usually served during Chinese New Year celebrations.
- Tea oil: Jiangxi cuisine uses tea oil as its primary cooking oil. As tea oil can cause stomach problems when consumed uncooked, any dishes that is cooked in tea oil is not served raw, which is the reason for the absence of cold or raw dishes in Jiangxi cuisine. However, Jiangxi cuisine is unique in that tea oil is used almost exclusively as the only cooking oil, with one minor exception being rapeseed oil. Other Chinese cuisines, on the other hand, also use tea oil but supplement it with a variety of other cooking oils.
- Steamed Fish with Flour 粉蒸鱼: The first step is steaming vegetables with green vegetables at the bottom. Then put a layer of taro mixed with chili sauce and steam them on the fire for 15 minutes. The second step is to steam fish, then cover the taro with a well-prepared fillet of grass carp and steam them for 5 minutes. The third step is to add flavor. Pour secret sauce on them. After another 1 minute, the dishes can be finished. When the taro is smooth with fish flavor, and the fillets are fresh without deformation, the dish can be counted as super-grade one. The taro is very smooth.
- Three-cup Chicken 三杯鸡: Though it is almost harsh in material, the cooking method is straightforward. Since chicken evenly into small pieces and put them into an earthen pot, add a cup of rice wine, a cup of soy sauce and a cup of oil, cook with gentle fire and then thicken the soup. But such a dish of a selected material with simple cooking method once established the basic taste of Jiangxi cuisine, three-cup taste. In addition to Three-cup Chicken, there are other dishes of three-cup taste, such as three-cup soft-shelled turtle, three-cup gizzard and liver, three-cup tofu and three-cup eel. Shredded pork with garlic sauce is a dish of Sichuan cuisine. We all know it. In our Jiangxi cuisine, basic tastes include those materials. Make sure that this is Jiangxi cuisine. In this case, no matter spicy favor or three-cup taste, it is still too early to define Jiangxi cuisine with a flavor.
- Dongpo pork 东坡肉: The founder of Dongpo pork was Su dongpo in the northern song dynasty. Su dongpo traveled around the world. One day, he came to Aicheng village, Yongxiu county, by Poyang lake. The farmer greeted him and invited Su dongpo to live. The next morning, the farmer bought two kilos of pork from the market and brought it back with a bundle of straw. At this point, the Su dongpo face out of the window, appreciate the beauty field, he didn't hear the farmer question, but mouth poetry: "grass pearl through sweet heart", the farmer was wrong listen to: "and grass whole cooked sweet heart." I was busy with my family putting the meat in the pot with the straws tied up. At dinner, Su dongpo tasted the whole piece of meat with the smell of straw. Su dongpo also did the same after the meat, known as "Dongpo meat", quickly spread throughout the region.
- Laobiao (Cousin) Chicken Soup土鸡汤: In the last years of the Yuan dynasty, Zhu yuanzhang fought against Chen youliang on Poyang lake. Zhu yuanzhang led the soldiers to flee to a village later, a good villager stew a chicken soup, Zhu yuanzhang and other people solve its hunger. Zhu yuanzhang was very touched. After learning that the villagers are all surnamed Chen, Zhu yuanzhang was very happy, saying that Fengyang's maternal uncle is also surnamed Chen, so we are still uncle!Since then both sides have affectionately called each other "cousin 老表".There is a saying that "jiangxi cousin 江西老表" comes from this, and the Laobiao chicken soup has since become an authentic agricultural dish in Jiangxi province and is well known.