|Alternative names||Zalfraizi (Sylheti)|
|Place of origin||Indian subcontinent|
|Region or state||Bengal, Greater Sylhet|
|Associated national cuisine||India, Bangladesh, Pakistan|
|Main ingredients||Meat, seafood, or vegetables, green chillies, often cream|
Jalfrezi (also jhal frezi, zalfrezi, zalfraizi, jaffrazi, and many other alternative spellings) is a dish originating in the Indian subcontinent, popular in Bangladeshi cuisine and Indian cuisine that involves frying marinated pieces of meat, fish or vegetables in oil and spices to produce a dry, thick sauce. As the dish includes green chillies, a jalfrezi can range in heat from medium to very hot. Typically those eating jalfrezi cool it down by consuming cream, yoghurt or other foods that help alleviate the heat. Other main ingredients include bell peppers, onions, cabbage, and tomatoes.
History of the dish
Jalfrezi recipes originally appeared in cookbooks of the British India as a way of using up leftovers by frying them in chilli and onion. This English language usage derived from the colloquial Bengali word jhālpharezī: in Bengali, jhāl means spicy food; in Persian, parhezī means suitable for a diet. In the Indian subcontinent, chicken jalfrezi is considered an Indian Chinese, Bangladeshi Indochinese or Pakistani Chinese dish, with a mix of Chinese and South Asian cooking techniques used in its preparation.
- Jalfrezi, http://www.eatanddrink.co.uk
- , http://www.thesecretyumiverse.wonderhowto.com
- Jalfrezi Archived 2007-09-30 at the Wayback Machine., http://www.indiacurry.com
- Collingham, Lizzie (2006). Curry: A Tale of Cooks and Conquerors. Oxford: Oxford University Press. p. 138. ISBN 978-0-19-988381-3.
- "jalfrezi". Oxford English Dictionary (3rd ed.). Oxford University Press. September 2005. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- http://www.ainycooks.com/chicken-jalfrezi-with-simple-fried-rice/ CHICKEN JALFREZI WITH SIMPLE FRIED RICE
- "chicken jalfrezi by Video Recipes - Dailymotion". Dailymotion. 13 February 2015.
- http://www.khanapakana.com/recipe/2d82909e-9370-4ddc-b709-00206af70845/chicken-jalfrezi Chicken Jalfrezi
- "Chicken Jalfrezi Recipe - alifseye.com". www.alifseye.com.
- "Tikka masala out, jalfrezi is UK’s No. 1 dish". The Times of India. July 23, 2011. Retrieved December 2, 2011.