Jainism in Goa
|Part of a series on|
Jainism flourished in Goa during the rule of Kadamba dynasty. Broken sculptures of the Jain Tirthankara Suparshvanatha, belonging to the period of the Goan Kadamba ruler Shivachitta Permadi Dev, were discovered in an old Jain temple in Jainkot, Naroa.
Muni Pranamsagar ji (Digambara Jain ascetic) visited Goa in 2015 and gained 150 new followers. It was the first time for a Jain ascetic to set foot in the state in a thousand years. The state then became the place for his Chaturmas of the year 2015.
The ancient Jain temple of Cudnem village dedicated to Lord Rishabhanatha was constructed by Gurjara community in tenth century. It went to ruins in fifteenth century. Broken idols of Tirthankara were discovered during an excavation in 1986 by the directorate of archeology and archives.
The idols of Tirthankara were also found in Chandreshwar temple in Kothambi village, situated on the right bank of the River Mandovi.
The first Jain sculpture (belonging to the early southern Shilahara) in Salcete, Chandor was discovered by Father Henry Heras during one of his expeditions.
- History of Goa, Department of Information and Publicity, Government of Goa
- Kerkar & TNN 2014.
- TNN (7 June 2015), Non-familiarity to Jain monks led to nude sadhu issue, Panaji: The Times of India
- Navhind Times (7 June 2015), Jain Mandal says awareness needs to be created on Digambar sect seers, Panaji: The Navhind Times
- TNN (9 April 2015), Netas’ comments on nude monk hurt Jain community, Margoa: The Times of India
- Census of India (2001), Population by religious communities, Ministry of Home Affairs (India)
- Census of India (2011), Goa Population - Census India 2011, Ministry of Home Affairs (India)
- Goa - Early recorded history (The Aryan conquest), Department of Tourism, Government of Goa
- de Souza 1989, p. 12.
- TNN (24 November 2008), Singular pre-Portuguese monument crumbling from neglect Paul Fernandes finds that the Jain basti at Bandora requires conservation, Goa: The Times of India
- Shenoy, Balaji (11 February 2015), Ruins of Neminath Jain Basti at Bandora, The Navhind Times
- Kerkar, Rajendra; TNN (31 October 2014), Jain heritage dwindles as govt sits pretty, The Times of India
- Kakar, Katarina (15 December 2013), Moving to Goa, Penguin UK
- de Souza, Teotonio R. (1 January 1994), Goa to Me, New Delhi: Concept Publishing Company, ISBN 81-7022-504-3
- de Souza, Teotonio R. (1 January 1989), Essays in Goan History, New Delhi: Concept Publishing Company, ISBN 81-7022-263-X