Italian regional elections, 1975
Presidents and regional assemblies of Piedmont, Lombardy, Veneto, Liguria, Emilia-Romagna, Tuscany, Marche, Umbria, Lazio, Campania, Molise, Abruzzo, Apulia, Basilicata and Calabria
The Italian regional elections of 1975 were held on June 15. The fifteen ordinary regions, created in 1970, elected their second assemblies. Following the 1971 census, Piedmont, Veneto and Latium had ten more seats each.
The pure party-list proportional representation had become the accepted electoral system of Italy, and it was adopted for the regional vote too. Each Italian province corresponded to a constituency electing a group of candidates. At the constituency level, seats were divided between open lists using the largest remainder method with Droop quota. Remaining votes and seats were transferred at the regional level, where they were divided using the Hare quota, and automatically distributed to the best-performing losers on the local lists.
The following table summarises the results of all the lists reaching at least ten percent of the vote.
Nine Regional Councils elected administrations led by a Christian Democracy members backed by centrist alliances, while three regions, Piedmont, Liguria and Latium, changed sides, adding themselves to the traditional leftist strongholds Emilia-Romagna, Tuscany and Umbria: PCI and PSI shared three presidencies each. It was a big victory for Communist leader Enrico Berlinguer.
The results were a shock for the Christian Democrats which, even though they remained the majority party, saw the possibility of an historical defeat at national level in the next election. The party's secretary Amintore Fanfani was fired, and the government led by Aldo Moro began to run into more and more difficulties, leading to an early dissolution of the national legislature the following year.
Results by region
- Abruzzo regional election, 1975
- Apulian regional election, 1975
- Basilicata regional election, 1975
- Calabrian regional election, 1975
- Campania regional election, 1975
- Emilia-Romagna regional election, 1975
- Lazio regional election, 1975
- Ligurian regional election, 1975
- Lombard regional election, 1975
- Marche regional election, 1975
- Molise regional election, 1975
- Piedmontese regional election, 1975
- Tuscan regional election, 1975
- Umbrian regional election, 1975
- Venetian regional election, 1975