International Democrat Union
Countries with a party member of International Democrat Union in government as of June 2018
|Purpose||World federation of centre-right to right wing political parties|
|Part of a series on|
The International Democrat Union (IDU) is an international alliance of centre-right political parties. Headquartered in Munich, Germany, the IDU comprises 71 full and associate members from 63 different countries. It is chaired by Stephen Harper, former Prime Minister of Canada.
The IDU provides a forum in which political parties holding similar beliefs can come together and exchange views on matters of policy and organisational interest. From this, they act cooperatively, establish contacts, and present a unified voice toward the promotion of centre-right policies around the globe. The IDU has some overlap of member parties with the Centrist Democrat International (CDI), but the CDI is more centrist and communitarian than the IDU.
The group was founded in 1983 as the umbrella organisation for the European Democrat Union (EDU), Caribbean Democrat Union (CDU), and the Asia Pacific Democrat Union (APDU). Created at the instigation of the Konrad Adenauer Foundation and US Vice President George H. W. Bush, the organisation was founded at a joint meeting of the EDU and APDU in London, the United Kingdom.
The IDU has several regional affiliates: the Democrat Union of Africa, the Union of Latin American Parties, the Asia Pacific Democrat Union, the Caribbean Democrat Union, and the European People's Party, the Alliance of European Conservatives and Reformists and the (dormant since 2002) European Democrat Union in Europe. It also has an affiliated youth wing the International Young Democrat Union led by Australian Simon Breheny and an affiliated women's wing in the International Women's Democrat Union.
IDU was founded in London, on July 24, 1993.
|Country||Party||Abbr||Government||Period of membership|
|Partyja BPF||PBNF||extraparliamentary opposition|
|United Civic Party of Belarus||OGP||in opposition|
|Cuban Democratic Directorate||DDC||in exile (United States)|
|New Rights||NRP||in opposition|
|Democratic Party||DP||in opposition|
|National Republican Association – Colorado Party||ANR-PC||in government|
|Chama cha Demokrasia na Maendeleo||CHADEMA||in opposition|
|All-Ukrainian Union "Fatherland"||VOB||in opposition|
- Alliance of Conservatives and Reformists in Europe
- Centrist Democrat International
- European People's Party
- European Conservatives and Reformists
- Political internationals: such as Liberal International, the corresponding liberal organisation; and Socialist International, the corresponding centre-left organisation
- Burnell, Peter J. (2006). Globalizing Democracy: Party Politics in Emerging Democracies. London: Taylor & Francis. p. 63. ISBN 978-0-415-40184-5.
- International Democrat Union. "IDU Members". Idu.org. Archived from the original on 2014-07-01. Retrieved 2016-04-22.
- Mohr, Alexander (2010). The German Political Foundations as Actors in Democracy Assistance. Boca Raton: Universal-Publishers. p. 151. ISBN 978-1-59942-331-9.
- Goldman, Ralph Morris (2002). The Future Catches Up: Transnational Parties and Democracy. London: Taylor & Francis. p. 418. ISBN 978-0-595-22888-1.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on October 17, 2013. Retrieved October 17, 2012.
- "IYDU-New Chairman and Board Elected". IDU. November 15, 2016. Retrieved December 11, 2016.
- International Democrat Union, minutes of founding meeting, 1993
- Diplomat, Akhilesh Pillalamarri, The. "India's Bharatiya Janata Party Joins Union of International Conservative Parties". The Diplomat. Retrieved 2018-04-25.
- "John Key chairs International Democrat Union" "Newshub" 21/11/2014
- United Workers Party "UWP to become full member of International Democrat Union" "St Lucia News Online" November 17, 2014
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to International Democrat Union.|