Institute for Computational Engineering and Sciences
The Institute for Computational Engineering and Sciences (ICES) is an interdisciplinary research unit and graduate program at The University of Texas at Austin dedicated to the advancing computational science and engineering through a variety of programs and research centers. The institute currently supports 11 research centers, six research groups and maintains the Computational Sciences, Engineering and Mathematics Program, a graduate degree program leading to the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Computational Science, Engineering and Mathematics. The interdisciplinary programs underway at ICES involve 91 faculty representing 17 academic departments and four schools and colleges. ICES faculty hold positions in the Colleges of Engineering, Natural Sciences, Business and Liberal Arts. The institute also supports the ICES Post Doctoral Fellows Program and a program for visiting scholars through the J. Tinsley Oden Faculty Fellowship Research Fund. Organizationally, ICES reports to the Vice President for Research.
Research Centers and Groups
ICES supports 11 research centers and six research groups. Each center and group is organized around a research topic and is directed by an ICES faculty member.
- Applied Mathematics Group
- Center for Big Data Analytics
- Center for Cardiovascular Simulation
- Center for Computational GeoSciences and Optimization
- Center for Computational Life Sciences and Biology
- Center for Computational Materials
- Center for Computational Molecular Science
- Center for Distributed and Grid Computing
- Center for Numerical Analysis
- Center for Predictive Engineering and Computational Science
- Center for Subsurface Modeling
- Computational Hydraulics Group
- Computational Mechanics Group
- Computational Visualization Center
- Electromagnetics & Acoustics Group
- Multiscale Modeling Group
- Parallel Algorithms for Data Analysis and Simulation Group
ICES supports seven major programs that seek to promote computational science at various levels.
- A graduate program for MS and PhD students
- Supports the research of recent doctorates
- Brings researchers and scholars from academia, government and industry to the institute to collaborate with ICES researchers
- Used to support outstanding junior faculty
- Provides funding and resources for University of Texas at Austin faculty who work on challenges that affect national competitiveness
- Supports undergraduate interns who work with ICES faculty during the summer
- Allows junior and senior level students at The University of Texas at Austin the opportunity to study computational engineering and sciences, and have their studies recognized with a certificate.