Indexed Database API
The Indexed Database API, or IndexedDB (formerly WebSimpleDB), is a World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) recommended web browser standard interface for a transactional local database of JSON objects collections with indices. Websites can collect and save permanent (more) data in a database. W3C issued its final recommendation for the IndexedDB interface on January 8, 2015.
Preliminary support for IndexedDB is included by Firefox (since version 4), Google Chrome (since version 11), and by Internet Explorer 10 Consumer Preview and Metro style apps. Apple announced support in Safari 8 for both iOS 8 and OS X at their WWDC 2014 Keynote on June 2, 2014.
Safari, Chrome 4, and Opera support an alternative mechanism for client-side database storage called Web SQL Database. On November 18, 2010, the W3C announced that the Web SQL database specification has reached an impasse and is no longer being actively worked on. Firefox developers have publicly stated that the lack of WebSQL Database support in Firefox is on purpose, as they believe it is a problematic standard which requires an alternative (hence IndexedDB).
IndexedDB can be used for browser implemented functions, such as bookmarks, as well as web applications, such as email. An open-source reference implementation of the Indexed Database API exists for testing and experimentation purposes.
IndexedDB is a transactional database embedded in the browser. The database is organized around the concept of collections of JSON objects similarly to NoSQL databases MongoDB or CouchDB. Each object is identified with a key generated during insert. An indexing system optimizes access to stored objects.
- "Indexed Database API". W3.org. Retrieved 2011-02-18.
- "IndexedDB API". W3.org. Retrieved 2015-12-04.
- "IndexedDB - MDC Doc Center". Developer.mozilla.org. Retrieved 2011-02-18.
- "Web Platform Status". The Chromium Projects. 2012-05-21. Retrieved 2012-05-24.
- IndexedDB, MSDN, 2012-03-14, retrieved 2012-05-24
- "What's New in macOS". Apple. Retrieved 2017-07-09.
- Shankland, Stephen (2010-03-12). "Consensus emerges for key Web app standard | Deep Tech - CNET News". News.cnet.com. Retrieved 2011-02-18.
- "Web SQL Database". Dev.w3.org. 2010-11-18. Retrieved 2011-02-18.
- "W3C Working Group Note 18 November 2010". W3.org.
- "Well, I'm Back: Not Implementing Features Is Hard". Weblogs.mozillazine.org. Retrieved 2011-02-18.
- "indexeddb - Project Hosting on Google Code". Code.google.com. Retrieved 2011-02-18.
- Nelson, Anne Fulcher, and Nelson, William Harris Morehead. (2001). Building Electronic Commerce with Web Database Constructions. Boston, MA: Addison Wesley.