|Coordinates: 32°43′00″N 35°15′45″E / 32.71667°N 35.26250°ECoordinates: 32°43′00″N 35°15′45″E / 32.71667°N 35.26250°E|
|Grid position||174/235 PAL|
|• Type||Local council (from 1991)|
|• Head of Municipality||Hassan Ali|
|• Total||3,051 dunams (3.051 km2 or 1.178 sq mi)|
|Name meaning||possibly from the name of a tree|
Historical geographer, Samuel Klein (1886–1940), suggested identifying the village with the 2nd century town known as ‘Ayṯoh-lo, mentioned in rabbinical sources and home to one of the 24 priestly families that settled in the Galilee after the Bar Kokhba revolt.
A fish breeding pond, made in Roman era, and in use until the late Byzantine (5th–6th centuries CE) era have been excavated in the centre of Ilut, near a perennial spring. It was probably used for raising St. Peter’s fish. Other building remains, pottery and coins have also been found dating from the Roman and Byzantine eras.
In 1517, the village was included in the Ottoman empire with the rest of Palestine, and in the 1596 tax-records it appeared as 'Aylut, located in the Nahiya of Tabariyya of the Liwa of Safad. The population was 9 households, all Muslim. They paid a tax rate of 25% on agricultural products, which included wheat, barley, fruit trees, goats and beehives, in addition to occasional revenues; a total of 200 Akçe. A map from Napoleon's invasion of 1799 by Pierre Jacotin showed the place as an unnamed village.
In 1875 Victor Guérin found it to have no more than 200 inhabitants. The village was situated in a valley and on the lower flanks of a mound. Some gardens surrounded it, planted with fig and olive trees and surrounded by a cactus hedge. He further noticed, near a Oualy, the site of an old church which had been completely razed. There were only five or six sections of limestone columns lying on the ground. As for the Oualy, it seemed to have been built with materials from the church. The Moslems there worshipped inside it a tomb dedicated to Neby Louth; the same person whose tomb was found in Bani Na'im.
British Mandate era
In 1945 the population was 1,310, all Muslims, while the total land area was 17,557 dunams, according to an official land and population survey. Of this, 370 were allocated for plantations and irrigable land, 7,501 for cereals, while 30 dunams were classified as built-up areas.
- "List of localities, in Alphabetical order" (PDF). Israel Central Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved August 26, 2018.
- Palmer, 1881, p. 105
- Dalali-Amos, 2009, ‘Illut
- Alexandre, 2005, 'Illut
- Shalev, 2016, p. ‘Illut
- Samuel Klein, Eretz ha-Galil (The Land of Galilee), Jerusalem 1945, p. 85 (Hebrew)
- Dalali-Amos and Tepper, 2017, ‘Illut
- Hütteroth and Abdulfattah, 1977, p. 189
- Note that Rhode, 1979, p. 6 writes that the register that Hütteroth and Abdulfattah studied from the Safad-district was not from 1595/6, but from 1548/9
- Karmon, 1960, p. 166.
- Robinson and Smith, 1841, vol 3, 2nd appendix, p. 132
- Conder and Kitchener, 1881, SWP 1, p. 274
- Guérin, 1880, p. 384
- Schumacher, 1888, p. 184
- Barron, 1923, Table XI, Sub-district of Nazareth, p. 38
- Mills, 1932, p. 73
- Department of Statistics, 1945, p. 8
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 62
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 109
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 159
- Alexandre, Yardenna (2005-04-11). "Ilut Final Report" (117). Hadashot Arkheologiyot – Excavations and Surveys in Israel.
- Barron, J. B., ed. (1923). Palestine: Report and General Abstracts of the Census of 1922. Government of Palestine.
- Conder, Claude Reignier; Kitchener, H. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoirs of the Topography, Orography, Hydrography, and Archaeology. 1. London: Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Dalali-Amos, Edna (2009-02-15). "'Illut Final Report" (121). Hadashot Arkheologiyot – Excavations and Surveys in Israel.
- Dalali-Amos, Edna; Tepper, Yotam (2017-03-27). "'Illut" (129). Hadashot Arkheologiyot – Excavations and Surveys in Israel.
- Dalali-Amos, Edna (2017-12-03). "ʽIllut Final Report" (129). Hadashot Arkheologiyot – Excavations and Surveys in Israel.
- Department of Statistics (1945). Village Statistics, April, 1945. Government of Palestine.
- Guérin, Victor (1880). Description Géographique Historique et Archéologique de la Palestine (in French). 3: Galilee, pt. 1. Paris: L'Imprimerie Nationale.
- Hadawi, Sami (1970). Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine. Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center.
- Hütteroth, Wolf-Dieter; Abdulfattah, Kamal (1977). Historical Geography of Palestine, Transjordan and Southern Syria in the Late 16th Century. Erlanger Geographische Arbeiten, Sonderband 5. Erlangen, Germany: Vorstand der Fränkischen Geographischen Gesellschaft. ISBN 3-920405-41-2.
- Karmon, Y. (1960). "An Analysis of Jacotin's Map of Palestine" (PDF). Israel Exploration Journal. 10 (3,4): 155–173; 244–253.
- Mills, E., ed. (1932). Census of Palestine 1931. Population of Villages, Towns and Administrative Areas. Jerusalem: Government of Palestine.
- Palmer, E. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Rhode, Harold (1979). Administration and Population of the Sancak of Safed in the Sixteenth Century. Columbia University.
- Robinson, Edward; Smith, Eli (1841). Biblical Researches in Palestine, Mount Sinai and Arabia Petraea: A Journal of Travels in the year 1838. 3. Boston: Crocker & Brewster.
- Schumacher, G. (1888). "Population list of the Liwa of Akka". Quarterly statement - Palestine Exploration Fund. 20: 169–191.
- Shalev, Yiftah (2016-02-25). "'Illut Final Report" (128). Hadashot Arkheologiyot – Excavations and Surveys in Israel.