Iason Athanasiadis is a writer, photographer, political analyst, and television producer who has contributed to a range of media, including the BBC, Al Jazeera English, and Channel 4. He specializes in the Middle East.
A graduate of Oxford University, Iason has written for the Christian Science Monitor, the Financial Times, the International Herald Tribune, the Sunday Telegraph, The Guardian, the Toronto Star, the Spectator, Newsweek, the Washington Times, the Athens News, and Australia's leading current affairs magazine The Diplomat.
He was detained in Tehran on 17 June 2009, in the course of his reporting on the disputed Iranian elections. No details of his alleged crime were released and no charges were made public. He was released after twenty days of incarceration on 6 July 2009.
Iason holds a master's degree from the Tehran School of International Relations.
- Athanasiadis, I. (2006). "Mid-East media: the news wars". British Journalism Review. 17 (4): 29–35. doi:10.1177/0956474806074947. ISSN 0956-4748.
- "Iason Athanasiadis". Author. World Politics Review. Retrieved 10 August 2013.
- "Nieman Foundation Announces U.S. and International Fellows for 2007-2008". News. Nieman Foundation - Harvard. Retrieved 10 August 2013.
- "Nieman Foundation Calls for Release of Journalist Detained in Iran". News. Nieman Foundation - Harvard. Retrieved 10 August 2013.
- Iason Athanasiadis's personal website
- Nieman Report: A Photo Journalist Immerses Himself in the Story Being Told
- Journalisted - Articles by Iason Athanasiadis
- Global Greeks - Media