|Publisher||IEEE Computer Society|
The IEEE Visualization Conference (VIS) is an annual conference on scientific visualization, information visualization, and visual analytics administrated by the IEEE Computer Society Technical Committee on Visualization and Graphics. As ranked by Google Scholar's h-index metric in 2016, VIS is the highest rated venue for visualization research and the second-highest rated conference for computer graphics over all. It has an 'A' rating from the Australian Ranking of ICT Conferences and an 'A' rating from the Brazilian ministry of education. The conference is highly selective with generally < 25% acceptance rates for all papers.
The conference is held in October and rotates around the US generally West, Central and East.
2017: Phoenix, Arizona 2016: Baltimore, Maryland 2015: Chicago, Illinois, 2014: Paris, France 2013: Atlanta, Georgia 2012: Seattle, Washington 2011: Providence, Rhode Island 2010: Salt Lake City, Utah 2009: Atlantic City, New Jersey 2008: Columbus, Ohio 2007: Sacramento, California 2006: Baltimore, Maryland 2005: Minneapolis, Minnesota 2004: Austin, Texas 2003: Seattle, Washington 2002: Boston, Massachusetts 2001: San Diego, California 2000: Salt Lake City, Utah 1999: San Francisco, California 1998: Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 1997: Phoenix, Arizona 1996: San Francisco, California
VIS Best Paper Award
- An Analysis of Machine- and Human-Analytics in Classification, Gary K.L. Tam, Vivek Kothari, Min Chen
- Vega-Lite: A Grammar of Interactive Graphics, Arvind Satyanarayan, Dominik Moritz, Kanit Wongsuphasawat, and Jeffrey Heer
- Jacobi Fiber Surfaces for Bivariate Reeb Space Computation, Julien Tierny and Hamish Carr
- Reducing Snapshots to Points: A Visual Analytics Approach to Dynamic Network Exploration, Stef van den Elzen, Danny Holten, Jorik Blaas, Jarke van Wijk
- HOLA: Human-like Orthogonal Network Layout, Steve Kieffer, Tim Dwyer, Kim Marriott, Michael Wybrow
- Visualization-by-Sketching: An Artist’s Interface for Creating Multivariate Time-Varying Data, David Schroeder, Daniel Keefe
- Supporting Communication and Coordination in Collaborative Sensemaking, Narges Mahyar, Melanie Tory
- Multivariate Network Exploration and Presentation: From Detail to Overview via Selections and Aggregations, Stef van den Elzen, Jarke van Wijk
- Visualization of Brain Microstructure through Spherical Harmonics Illumination of High Fidelity Spatio-Angular Fields, Sujal Bista, Jiachen Zhou, Rao Gullapalli, Amitabh Varshney
- A Partition-Based Framework for Building and Validating Regression Models, Thomas Muhlbacher, Harald Piringer
- LineUp: Visual Analysis of Multi-Attribute Rankings, Samuel Gratzl, Alexander Lex, Nils Gehlenborg, Hanspeter Pfister, Marc Streit
- Comparative Visual Analysis of Lagrangian Transport in CFD Ensembles, Mathias Hummel, Harald Obermaier, Christoph Garth, Kenneth I. Joy
Technical Achievement Award
- 2017 - Jeffrey Heer
- 2016 - David Ebert
- 2015 - Tamara Munzner
- 2014 - Claudio T. Silva
- 2013 - Kwan-Liu Ma
- 2012 - John Stasko
- 2011 - Daniel A. Keim
- 2010 - Hanspeter Pfister
- 2009 - Jock D. Mackinlay
- 2008 - David Laidlaw
- 2007 - Jarke van Wijk
- 2006 - Thomas Ertl
- 2005 - Charles D. Hansen
- 2004 - Amitabh Varshney
To earn the IEEE VGTC Visualization Career Award, an individual must demonstrate that their research and service has had broad impacts on the field over a long period of time.
- 2017 - Charles D. Hansen
- 2016 - John C. Dill
- 2015 - Markus Gross
- 2014 - Kenneth Joy
- 2013 - Gregory M. Nielson
- 2012 - Ben Shneiderman
- 2011 - Frits Post
- 2010 - Christopher R. Johnson
- 2009 - Hans Hagen
- 2008 - Lawrence J. Rosenblum
- 2007 - Stuart Card
- 2006 - Pat Hanrahan
- 2005 - Arie Kaufman
- 2004 - Bill Lorensen
- Kosara, Robert (11 November 2013). "A Guide to the Quality of Different Visualization Venues". eagereyes. Retrieved 6 April 2017.
- "Australian Ranking of ICT Conferences". core.edu.au. Archived from the original on 9 April 2013. Retrieved 6 April 2017.
- Elmqvist, Niklas. "Top Scientific Conferences and Journals in InfoVis". UMIACS. University of Maryland. Retrieved 6 April 2017.
- Boris Schauerte. "Conference Ranks". conferenceranks.com. Retrieved 6 April 2017.
- "The 2016 Visualization Technical Achievement Award". 2016 IEEE Conference on Visual Analytics Science and Technology (VAST): xi–xi. 2016. doi:10.1109/VAST.2016.7883503. Retrieved 2 July 2017.
- "The 2016 Visualization Career Award". IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics. 23 (1): xxiv–xxiv. 2017. doi:10.1109/TVCG.2016.2599298. ISSN 1077-2626. Retrieved 2 July 2017.