Urrutia with the Baltimore Orioles
|Guerreros de Oaxaca – No. 3|
|Designated hitter / Left fielder|
Born: February 13, 1987|
Las Tunas, Cuba
|July 20, 2013, for the Baltimore Orioles|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2015 season)
|Runs batted in||8|
Henry Alexander Urrutia Rodríguez (// oo-ROO-tee-ə; born February 13, 1987) is a Cuban professional baseball designated hitter and left fielder for the Guerreros de Oaxaca of the Mexican Baseball League. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Baltimore Orioles.
Urrutia attempted to defect from Cuba in 2010. After the failed attempt, he was suspended. He successfully defected to Haiti in September 2011.
After having trouble acquiring a visa, Urrutia reported to the Bowie Baysox of the Double-A Eastern League in April 2013. After playing 52 games for Bowie, the Orioles promoted him to the Norfolk Tides of the Triple-A International League on June 28. After playing in 15 games for Norfolk, the Orioles promoted Urrutia to the major leagues on July 19. Urrutia was optioned back on Norfolk on August 17. He was recalled on September 3. He was placed on the restricted list on September 13 when the Orioles travelled to Toronto due to visa issues, and re-activated on September 16.
On August 19, 2015, Urrutia hit his first career home run off of New York Mets pitcher Carlos Torres. It was also his first career walk-off hit. Urrutia was released by the Orioles organization on May 25, 2017.
Boston Red Sox
On June 14, 2017, Urrutia signed a minor league deal with the Boston Red Sox. He elected free agency on November 6, 2017.
Diablos Rojos del México
Guerreros de Oaxaca
- "Orioles Sign Cuban Outfielder Henry Urrutia" (Press release). MLB.com. July 24, 2012. Archived from the original on April 30, 2014. Retrieved April 30, 2014.
- Dubroff, Rich (March 13, 2013). "Urrutia set to make impact with Orioles". Carroll County Times. Archived from the original on April 10, 2013. Retrieved March 16, 2013.
- "Cuban outfielder Urrutia has sights set on big leagues". Baltimore Orioles. MLB.com. March 6, 2013. Archived from the original on April 30, 2014. Retrieved March 16, 2013.
- Omar Luis (December 20, 2012). "Henry Urrutia Having Visa Trouble With Haitian Documents". Baseball America Prospects Blog. Baseball America. Archived from the original on May 22, 2013. Retrieved March 16, 2013.
- Kubatko, Roch (April 18, 2013). "Latest on S. Johnson, Wada, Roberts and Urrutia". School of Roch. Masnsports.com. Archived from the original on October 14, 2013. Retrieved October 14, 2013.
- Gallen, Daniel (June 27, 2013). "Henry Urrutia promoted to Triple-A Norfolk". The Baltimore Sun. Archived from the original on October 14, 2013. Retrieved October 14, 2013.
- Encina, Eduardo A. (July 18, 2013). "Orioles' Henry Urrutia and Danny Valencia expected to be called up this weekend". The Baltimore Sun. Archived from the original on October 14, 2013. Retrieved October 14, 2013.
- Encina, Eduardo A. (September 13, 2013). "Dan Johnson called up and Steve Clevenger gets first start with Orioles". The Baltimore Sun. Archived from the original on October 17, 2013. Retrieved September 13, 2013.
- Todd, Jeff (May 25, 2017). "Minor MLB Transactions: 5/25/17". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved May 26, 2017.
- "El outfield cubano Henry Urrutia, tercer importado escarlata" (in Spanish). Retrieved January 29, 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Henry Urruita.|