Harvard University Press
|Parent company||Harvard University|
|Founded||January 13, 1913|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Cambridge, Massachusetts|
TriLiteral (United States)|
John Wiley & Sons (international)
George Andreou (director)|
Susan Wallace Boehmer (editor-in-chief)
|Publication types||Academic publishing|
Harvard University Press (HUP) is a publishing house established on January 13, 1913, as a division of Harvard University, and focused on academic publishing. In 2005, it published 220 new titles. It is a member of the Association of American University Presses. After the retirement of William P. Sisler in 2017, George Andreou was appointed as Director; the editor-in-chief is Susan Wallace Boehmer.
The press maintains offices in Cambridge, Massachusetts near Harvard Square, as well as in New York City and in London, England. The press co-founded the distributor TriLiteral LLC with MIT Press and Yale University Press. TriLiteral was sold to LSC Communications in 2018.
Notable authors published by HUP include Eudora Welty, Walter Benjamin, E. O. Wilson, John Rawls, Emily Dickinson, Stephen Jay Gould, Helen Vendler, Carol Gilligan, Amartya Sen, David Blight, Martha Nussbaum, and Thomas Piketty.
Related publishers, imprints, and series
HUP owns the Belknap Press imprint, which it inaugurated in May 1954 with the publication of the Harvard Guide to American History. The John Harvard Library book series is published under the Belknap imprint.
Its 2011 publication Listed: Dispatches from America's Endangered Species Act by Joe Roman received the 2012 Rachel Carson Environment Book Award from the Society of Environmental Journalists.
- Category:Harvard University Press books
- "As Many Books as Possible Short of Bankruptcy". Harvard Magazine. March–April 2013. Retrieved January 28, 2015.
- "New director for Harvard University Press". Harvard Gazette. July 12, 2017. Retrieved July 14, 2017.
- "LSC Buys TriLiteral; Turner Purchases Gürze Books". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2018-07-08.
- "Last Chapter". Harvard Magazine. September–October 2009. Retrieved December 2, 2010.
- Bridenbaugh, Carl (May 9, 1954). "For Explorers of Our Past: Harvard Guide to American History". The New York Times Book Review. Retrieved May 30, 2010.
- Roman, Joe (2011). Listed: Dispatches from America's Endangered Species Act. Harvard University Press. ISBN 9780674061279.
- "Winners: SEJ 11th Annual Awards for Reporting on the Environment". Society of Environmental Journalists. October 17, 2012. Retrieved July 15, 2017.