The Gallery at Harborplace
|Location||Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.|
|Address||201 East Pratt Street|
|Opening date||July 2, 1980|
|Developer||James W. Rouse Company|
|Management||General Growth Properties|
|Owner||General Growth Properties|
|No. of floors||
|Public transit access||
Harborplace is a festival marketplace in Baltimore, Maryland, that opened on July 2, 1980, as a centerpiece of the revival of downtown Baltimore. As its name suggests, it is located on the Inner Harbor.
Harborplace is composed of 2 two-story pavilions: the Pratt Street Pavilion and the Light Street Pavilion. Each of these buildings contains dozens of stores and restaurants. Many of the stores sell merchandise specific to Baltimore or the state of Maryland, such as blue crab food products, Baltimore Orioles and Ravens merchandise, Edgar Allan Poe products, and University of Maryland Terrapins clothing. Local merchants are complemented by national retailers and restaurants, such as Bubba Gump Shrimp Company, The Cheesecake Factory, Johnny Rockets, Five Guys, Swatch, Fire & Ice, Urban Outfitters, and Uno Chicago Grill. A Ripley's Believe It or Not! museum opened in the Light Street Pavilion on June 26, 2012.
Harborplace was designed by Benjamin C. Thompson and was built by the developer James W. Rouse and The Rouse Company near the former Light Street site of the Old Bay Line's steamship terminal and docks (1898–1950). A citywide referendum was required to proceed with the project.
On the weekend of July 1, 2005, Harborplace celebrated its 25th anniversary with an opening ceremony featuring known local politicians and other honoraries, such as Maryland Governor Robert L. Ehrlich, Baltimore Mayor Martin O'Malley, and Baltimore Area Convention & Visitors Association (BACVA) president Leslie R. Doggett.
In late 2012, long-time owner General Growth Properties sold Harborplace to a New York-based real estate investment firm, Ashkenazy Acquisition Corp., which also owns Union Station in D.C.
- Joseph Rocco Mitchell, David L Stebenne. New City Upon a Hill A History of Columbia Maryland. p. 125.