Type of site
|Web search engine|
|Website||www.Hakia.com at the Wayback Machine (archived May 11, 2004)|
hakia was an Internet search engine. Launched in March 2004 and based in New York City, hakia attempted to pioneer a semantic search engine in contrast to keyword search engines that were established at that time. The search engine ceased operations in 2014. Since 2015 the domain has been owned by HughesNet.
Hakia was founded by Rıza Can Berkan, a nuclear scientist by training with a specialization in artificial intelligence and fuzzy logic, and Pentti Kouri, a New York-based economist and venture capitalist. Victor Raskin, a reseacher in the fields of computational linguistics and ontological semantics, served as hakia’s scientific advisor. Members of its board include former Senator Bill Bradley, Riza C. Berkan, Ryszard Krauze, Anuj Mathur, Murat Vargı and John Grzymala. hakia has raised more than $20 million from private equity investors.
The company invented QDEXing technology, an infrastructure to indexing that uses "SemanticRank" algorithm, using ontological semantics, fuzzy logic, computational linguistics, and mathematics. In 2008, hakia added several sub-categories for search engine hits, such as "credible sites" for information by trusted websites, "news", "images" and "meet others", a feature that let users find forums and groups for related search items.
- Tümer, Duygu, Mohammad Ahmed Shah, and Yiltan Bitirim. "An empirical evaluation on semantic search performance of keyword-based and semantic search engines: Google, yahoo, msn and hakia." In Internet Monitoring and Protection, 2009. ICIMP'09. Fourth International Conference on, pp. 51-55. IEEE, 2009.
- Berkan, Riza C., and Victor Raskin. "System and method for natural language processing and using ontological searches." U.S. Patent 7,739,104, issued June 15, 2010.
- Jordan, Jay. "Climbing out of the box and into the cloud: Building web-scale for libraries." Journal of Library Administration 51, no. 1 (2010): 3-17.
- Pollock, Jeffrey T. Semantic web for dummies. John Wiley & Sons, 2009.
- MacManus, R. "Hakia takes on Google. ReadWriteWeb, 23 Mar 2008." (2008).
- "Hakia | crunchbase". www.crunchbase.com. Retrieved 2017-05-26.
- O'Leary, Mick (2010-06-01). "Hakia Gets Serious with Semantic Search". Information Today – via Highbeam.
hakia's search interface is a single search panel with no on-screen search prompts and no advanced search options. Terms, phrases, and even lengthy text sections can be searched. However, there is no bound phrase searching.
- Castelluccio, Michael (2008-07-01). "Looking Elsewhere". Strategic Finance – via Highbeam.
- Schonfeld, Eric (October 6, 2008). "Semantic Search Engine Hakia Now Says It Can Filter Results By How Credible They Are". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2018-07-17.