Google Public Data Explorer
|Initial release||8 March 2010|
|Available in||40 languages|
|Type||Collaborative software, Data visualization|
Google Public Data Explorer provides public data and forecasts from a range of international organizations and academic institutions including the World Bank, OECD, Eurostat and the University of Denver. These can be displayed as line graphs, bar graphs, cross sectional plots or on maps. The product was launched on March 8, 2010 as an experimental visualization tool in Google Labs.
In 2011 the Public Data Explorer was made available for anyone to upload, share and visualize data sets. To facilitate this, Google created a new data format, the Dataset Publishing Language (DSPL). Once the data is imported, a dataset can be visualized, embedded in external websites, and shared with others like a Google Doc.
In 2016, this toolset was enhanced with the Google Analytics Suite, particularly Data Studio 360, whose release expanded to a free public beta in May 2016, which enabled import of public or individual datasets and overlaid user-friendly (non-coding) data visualization tools.
The SDMX converter is an open source application, which offers the ability to convert DSPL (Google's Dataset Publishing Language) messages to SDMX-ML and backwards. The output file of a DSPL dataset is a zip file containing data (CSV files) and metadata (XML file). Datasets in this format can be processed by Google and visualized in the Google Public Data Explorer.
- Edwards, Kerstin. "Visualizing Data from Government Census and Surveys: Plans for the Future" (PDF). U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- "Pardee Center for International Futures Data Explorer". University of Denver. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "Data Providers". Google. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "Visualize the data in a dataset". Google. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- "Statistics for a changing world: Google Public Data Explorer in Labs". Google. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- Sherman, Chris. "Visualize Your Own Information With Google Public Data Explorer". Search Engine Land. Retrieved 19 January 2015.
- "SDMX Converter". European Commission. Retrieved 25 January 2015.
- Eurostat data as open data: experience with Google and with the open data community by Chris Laevaert, May 2012
- Enhancing Data Discovery and Exploration by Jürgen Schwärzler, March 2011
- Using the Google Public Data Explorer as a Learning Tool in the University Geography Classroom by Thomas Pingel and Devin Moeller, October 2014
- Official website
- International Telecommunication Union Data Explorer
- United Nations Human Development Reports