Sparkman with the Storm Chasers in 2018
|Kansas City Royals – No. 57|
Born: May 11, 1992|
|June 30, 2017, for the Toronto Blue Jays|
|MLB statistics |
(through August 21, 2018)
|Earned run average||7.56|
High school and college
Kansas City Royals
Sparkman was selected by the Kansas City Royals in the 20th round of the 2013 Major League Baseball draft. He was assigned to the Rookie Idaho Falls Chukars for the 2013 season and made 20 relief appearances, posting a 1–0 win–loss record, 1.72 earned run average (ERA), and 47 strikeouts in 362⁄3 innings pitched. Sparkman was promoted to the Advanced-A Wilmington Blue Rocks of the Carolina League for the 2014 season. He was named the Carolina League's Pitcher of the Year after pitching to an 8–3 record, 1.56 ERA, and 117 strikeouts in 121 innings pitched.
Sparkman began the 2015 season with the Double-A Northwest Arkansas Naturals, making four starts and going 2–2 with a 3.60 ERA before going on the disabled list with an arm injury. It was later determined that he needed Tommy John surgery, which caused him to miss the remainder of the season and the start of the 2016 season. Sparkman rehabbed with the Arizona League Royals, and also made starts for the Class-A Lexington Legends, Advanced-A Wilmington, and Double-A Northwest Arkansas in 2016. In 16 combined starts, he posted a 2–7 record, 5.22 ERA, and 65 strikeouts in 601⁄3 innings.
Toronto Blue Jays
Sparkman suffered a broken right thumb in spring training, and opened the season on the 10-day disabled list. On April 10, he was transferred to the 60-day disabled list. Sparkman was activated on June 30 and called up by the Blue Jays. He appeared in relief in two games, giving up seven runs over a single inning pitched. He was designated for assignment on July 3, and returned to Kansas City on July 8.
Return to Kansas City
- "Glenn Sparkman Register Statistics & History". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved December 8, 2016.
- Forman, Mike (June 8, 2013). "Ganado grad Sparkman picked by Royals in 20th round". victoriaadvocate.com. Retrieved December 8, 2016.
- Berenstein, Seth (August 28, 2014). "Sparkman Named Carolina League Pitcher Of The Year - Carolina League News". MiLB.com. Retrieved December 8, 2016.
- Ashbourne, Nick (December 8, 2016). "Blue Jays select right-hander Glenn Sparkman in Rule 5 Draft". Sportsnet. Retrieved December 8, 2016.
- "2016 Rule 5 Draft results". MLB.com. December 8, 2016. Retrieved December 8, 2016.
- Adams, Steve (April 10, 2017). "Blue Jays Claim Ty Kelly From Mets". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved April 10, 2017.
- "Blue Jays call up Rule 5 pick Glenn Sparkman, option Chris Smith". Sportsnet. June 30, 2017. Retrieved June 30, 2017.
- "Jays designate Sparkman; promote Bolsinger". TSN.ca. July 3, 2017. Retrieved July 3, 2017.
- "Toronto Blue Jays Transactions in July 2017". MLB.com. Retrieved July 8, 2017.
- "Royals' Glenn Sparkman: Promoted to big leagues". cbssports.com. July 8, 2018. Retrieved July 8, 2018.