Georgia College & State University
|Endowment||$33.8 million (end of FY 2014)|
|393 (fall 2014)|
|Location||Milledgeville, Georgia, United States|
Blue and green|
|Affiliations||University System of Georgia|
Georgia College (Georgia College & State University or GCSU) is a public liberal arts university in Milledgeville, Georgia. The university enrolls approximately 7,000 students and is a member of the University System of Georgia. Georgia College was designated Georgia's "Public Liberal Arts University" in 1996 by the Georgia Board of Regents.
Georgia College was chartered in 1889 as Georgia Normal and Industrial College. Its emphasis at the time was largely vocational, and its major task was to prepare young women for teaching or industrial careers. In 1917, in keeping with economic and cultural changes in the state, Georgia Normal and Industrial College was authorized to grant degrees, the first of which was awarded in 1921. In 1922, the institution's name was changed to Georgia State College for Women. The University has been a unit of the University System of Georgia since it was formed in 1932. The name was changed to Women's College of Georgia in 1961, and, when the institution became coeducational in 1967, it became Georgia College at Milledgeville. The name was shortened to Georgia College in 1971. In August 1996, the Board of Regents approved a change of name to Georgia College & State University, and a new mission as Georgia's Public Liberal Arts University.
The central campus comprises about 43.2 acres (174,000 m²) in the center of Milledgeville, near the grounds of the former state capitol. The campus contains buildings of red brick and white Corinthian columns, representative of those constructed during the pre-Civil War Antebellum period, when Milledgeville was the capital of Georgia. Bell Hall and Russell Auditorium are credited to architect J. Reginald MacEachron. Atkinson Hall (1896) is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Other historic buildings on the campus include Sanford Hall (1938), Russell Auditorium (1926), Ina Dillard Russell Art Museum (the original section of the library) (1932), Chappell Hall (1963) (on the site of an earlier Chappell Hall built in 1907), Parks Hall (1911), Terrell Hall (1908), Maxwell Student Union (1972), Beeson Hall (1937), Porter Hall (1939), Lanier Hall (1926), Ennis Hall (1920), and Herty Hall (1954 and expanded in 1972).
Most of the university's residence halls are located a block from central campus along with the sports complex, called the Centennial Center. The Old Governor's Mansion is also within walking distance of the residence halls and front campus. West Campus, a 500-acre (2 km²) extension two miles (3 km) from the central campus, contains The Village student apartments and athletic fields. In addition, GC operates a large recreational area on Lake Laurel (approximately 15 minutes from the central campus) which is used by students in the university's Environmental Science and Outdoor Education programs.
The university library houses the manuscript collection of author Flannery O'Connor, an alumna of the university, and of U.S. Senator Paul Coverdell, whose career included serving as director of the Peace Corps when the Berlin Wall fell.
Center for Graduate and Professional Learning
GCSU offers advanced degree programs at its Center for Graduate and Professional Learning in the Thomas Jefferson Building in downtown Macon. The MBA, MPA, and MSA in logistics are offered in Warner Robins ("Robins Center"), on the Air Force base located there.
Known as the Georgia College Bobcats, the college is currently a member of NCAA Division II and the Peach Belt Conference. Georgia College currently sponsors varsity teams in baseball, men's and women's basketball, cheerleading, men's and women's cross country, golf, dance team, women's soccer, softball, men's and women's tennis, volleyball, and collegiate bass fishing.
Georgia College provides housing for its students. They have the option to reside either in a suite-style residence hall on Central Campus or in an apartment at The Village on West Campus. The residential halls on Central Campus are Bell, Sanford, Parkhurst, Wells, Napier, Foundation and Adams. Students have the option of dining at The Max (main dining hall) as well as Chick-fil-A, Einstein Bros. Bagels, Subway, Books & Brew Starbucks Café, The Village Market, The Lunch Box, and the GC Food Cart.
Georgia College has a very active Greek system with over 21 sororities and fraternities under various councils.
College Panhellenic Council
United Greek Council
Student Government Association
Georgia College's Student Government Association (SGA) serves the campus community by addressing student concerns, promoting understanding within the college community, and administering all matters which are delegated to the student government by the university president. The responsibility for the governing of the student body is vested in the students themselves. All students are members of the SGA upon their enrollment, and officers and Senators are elected on a yearly basis.
- "IPEDS Data Center". Retrieved 2016-01-20.
- "Layout 1" (PDF). Retrieved 2017-08-15.
- http://www.gcsu.edu/athletics/default.html Archived January 11, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Our heritage and history". 24 August 2015. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "About Georgia College". 15 July 2015. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- Name origins and brief histories of Georgia College buildings Archived 2013-12-31 at the Wayback Machine. Georgia College Buildings