The Friar Society was founded in 1911 by Curtice Rosser and Marion Levy. Eight members were initially selected in the charter group. Originally, four men were chosen from the junior and senior classes every year on the basis of a significant contribution to The University of Texas.
Friar Centennial Teaching Fellowship
The Friar Centennial Teaching Fellowship is an annual award given to a UT professor who has demonstrated excellence at the undergraduate teaching level. With a prize of $25,000, the award is the largest monetary award annually given to a UT professor.
In 1982, the Friars decided to create a teaching fellowship in honor of the upcoming centennial celebration for The University of Texas. Friar alumni raised $100,000 for this purpose, and this amount was matched by the Board of Regents to create an endowment.
- Beauford H. Jester, 36th Governor of Texas
- Allan Shivers, 37th Governor of Texas
- John Connally, 38th Governor of Texas, Secretary of the Navy, Secretary of the Treasury
- Dolph Briscoe, 41st Governor of Texas, largest single landowner in Texas
- Lloyd Doggett, current United States Representative
- Frank Ikard, former United States Representative
- J.J. Pickle, former United States Representative
- Ed Gossett, former United States Representative
- John J. Bell, former United States Representative
- Jack B. Brooks, former United States Representative serving for more than 40 years
- Diane Wood, current Circuit Judge, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Joe Greenhill, former Texas Supreme Court Justice
- John Hill, former Texas Attorney General and former Chief Justice of the Texas Supreme Court
- Harry Lee Hudspeth, current United States Federal Judge
- George P. Kazen, current Senior United States Federal Judge
- Ben Connally, former United States Federal Judge
- Harold Barefoot Sanders, former United States Federal Judge
- George Prescott Bush, Texas Land Commissioner and nephew of George W. Bush
- Ray Farabee, former Texas State Senator and President President Pro Tempore of the Texas State Senate
- Cyndi Taylor Krier, former Texas State Senator
- Tim Von Dohlen, former Texas State House Representative
- Roberto R. Alonzo, current Texas State House Representative
- Stanley Louis McLelland, former United States Ambassador to Jamaica
- Peter Coneway, former United States Ambassador to Switzerland
- Wilson Homer Elkins, President of the University of Maryland, 1954–1978
- Benno C. Schmidt, Sr., American lawyer and venture capitalist
- Robert Keeton, lawyer, jurist, and legal scholar
- Barr McClellan, former lawyer and author
- Ricardo Romo, President of the University of Texas at San Antonio
- Roy Spence, founder and CEO of GSD&M Idea City
- Steve Poizner, California State Insurance Commissioner, billionaire entrepreneur
- Earl Campbell, Hall of Fame NFL running back
- Mark McKinnon, Republican political advisor
- Bryan Garner, current editor of Black’s Law Dictionary
- Darren Walker, President of the [Ford Foundation]
- Paul Begala, political consultant and commentator
- Major Applewhite, current Texas football coach and former quarterback
- Cat Osterman, American softball player.
- Doug Dawson, former National Football League offensive lineman
- Roosevelt Leaks, Jr, former National Football League running back
- Patrick Rose, youngest member of the Texas House of Representatives
- Mary Walsh, National Security Producer at CBS News
- Bob Armstrong, Former Under Secretary of Interior, Former Texas Land Commissioner
- Sam Acho. American football linebacker for the Arizona Cardinals
- Lindsey Carmichael, Paralympic Bronze Medalist
- Linda Addison (lawyer), Lawyer, business executive and author
- Michael L Gillette, Historian, nonprofit executive
- Willie Morris, the youngest Editor-in-Chief of Harper's Magazine
- Robert Schenkkan, Pulitzer Prize for Theater, Tony Award for Best Play, two-time Emmy Award nominee
- "The University of Texas": "Friar Society selects Jarvis for Teaching Excellence Award"
- "The Daily Texan": "Friar Society awards $12,000 fellowship"
- "The Daily Texan": "Friar Society award named for retiring admin"