Fox Soccer Plus
|Fox Soccer Plus|
|Launched||April 26, 2005|
Fox Entertainment Group|
(21st Century Fox)
|Slogan||Your Passion is Our Passion|
|Headquarters||Houston, Texas, U.S.|
|Formerly called||Setanta Sports (until February 28, 2010)|
Fox Sports 1|
Fox Sports 2
Fox Sports Networks
Fox College Sports
Big Ten Network
621-1 (HD) (part-time)|
|Dish Network (US)||391 (SD only)|
|Verizon FiOS||1009 (SD only)|
|Available on most U.S. cable systems||Consult your local cable provider for channel availability|
|AT&T Uverse||1653 (HD)|
|PlayStation Vue||Internet Protocol television|
|YouTube TV||Internet Protocol Television|
Fox Soccer Plus (formerly Setanta Sports) is an American sports channel dedicated to soccer and rugby. Launched in 2005 by the Irish sports broadcaster Setanta Sports to offer live and tape-delayed mainstream sports events in the United States and Caribbean, it was rebranded on March 1, 2010 as a spin-off of the now-defunct Fox Soccer after its owner Fox Entertainment Group acquired the channel and its coverage rights from Setanta in January 2010.
Launched on April 26, 2005 by Setanta Sports which is based in the Republic of Ireland, the channel had the rights to delayed Manchester United and Chelsea matches on MUTV and Chelsea TV, which were shown in segments within the channel. Any given broadcaster can only gain access to a maximum of 2 club channels under the current Premier League international TV rights.
As of July 27, 2009 the ownership structure of Setanta Sports North America Limited changed. Setanta Sports North America Limited was owned by Sabloss. Both Setanta Sports Channel Ireland Limited and Setanta Sports North America Limited were licensed by the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland.
On January 27, 2010, Setanta Sports announced that they had reached an agreement with Fox Soccer Channel to transfer rights to select programming (soccer and rugby) that would be effective as of March 1. In addition, Setanta Sports announced that they would "cease" broadcasting the channel in the US and Caribbean on February 28, 2010. The channel was rebranded from Setanta Sports to Fox Soccer Plus on March 1, 2010 at 12:00 AM EST.
The channel airs soccer matches from the UEFA Champions League, England's FA Cup, Germany's Bundesliga and UEFA Europa League. Moreover, Fox Soccer Plus has acquired the rights to a handful of English national team matches, for both the senior and junior squads. It also carries replays of the 2018 FIFA World Cup.
In 2010 it secured the rights to broadcast the 2010 Rugby League Four Nations. As of 2013, they are also broadcasting some National Rugby League and Super League matches, including highlight shows (the syndicated NRL Full Time for the Australian league, Boots N' All for the European league) and full live coverage of both Grand Finals and the State of Origin series. The coverage of these events are "untouched", meaning it includes all pre-match activities and does not obscure the Sky Sports or Nine Network branding.
Australian Rules Football
Fox Soccer Plus has a contract to continue their coverage of the Australian Football League through the 2016 season. The announcement, reported January 16, 2014 on the Australian Football Association of North America website says that Fox Soccer Plus told AFANA that the network will broadcast a minimum of two live games per week in HD and coverage will continue through the end of the 2016 season. The same website post says Fox has also committed to show all playoff matches, leading up to and including the Grand Final. Additional games will air on the Fox Sports 2 network each week but not the Grand Final.
As Setanta Sports
- Shared live rights with ESPN2 and Fox Soccer Channel of the Barclays Premier League. Matches are currently Saturdays at 10am ET (a second live match airs on Setanta Xtra and is rebroadcast on the main channel later that day), Sundays at 8:30am and first-choice of any mid-week matches. Matches from the Saturday 10am ET timeslot that were not originally shown live on ESPN or Fox Soccer Channel are shown on tape delay in the evening on Setanta Sports.
- Shared live rights with ESPN360 of live Carling Cup football.
- Shared live rights with Fox Soccer Channel of the UEFA Champions League (Setanta also has some matches delayed to later that night or the following day).
- Shared live rights with ESPN360 of Football League Championship, League One and League Two matches, including play-offs.
- Live Euro 2012 qualifiers. Others air on tape delay either later on in the day, or a few days later if the live broadcast was on pay-per-view.
- Live French Ligue 1 football.
- Live Russian Premier League football.
- Scottish Cup football.
- Delayed and Live Scottish Premier League matches. The delayed matches consist of Old Firm matches which aired live at designated bars/restaurants on Setanta Premium. On the rare occasion where neither Celtic nor Rangers are on, the game aired live.
- Live international football, including friendlies and 2010 FIFA World Cup qualification matches.
- Highlights shows for most of the leagues Setanta broadcasts.
- Rugby World Cup.
- Live Guinness Premiership, rugby union club competition of England.
- Live Pro14, rugby union clubs of Ireland, Italy, Scotland, South Africa and Wales.
- Live Heineken Cup, rugby union club cup competition for 6 top European nations.
- Live Super Rugby, rugby union clubs of Argentina, Australia, Japan, New Zealand and South Africa.
- Live IRB Sevens Rugby.
- Live Currie Cup, rugby union club cup competition for South Africa.
- Six Nations rugby union competition on tape delay
- Summer and fall internationals, a mixture of live and tape delayed
- Live Tri-Nations, international Southern Hemisphere rugby union competition.
As Fox Soccer Plus
Fox Soccer Plus formerly held rights to all major properties in the SANZAAR countries—the Tri Nations involving the national teams of South Africa, New Zealand and Australia; Super Rugby, involving franchises from each of these countries; South Africa's Currie Cup; and New Zealand's ITM Cup. However, in 2011, Fox Soccer Plus lost broadcasting rights for Super Rugby and Tri Nations to DirecTV.
Fox Soccer Plus no longer has any rights to rugby union, previously the channel had rights to the Europe-wide Heineken Cup, the English Premiership and the Pro12 in the Celtic nations and Italy (although RaboDirect Pro 12 League matches were non-existent in Fox Soccer Plus' schedule for the first six weeks of the season).
Availability and other services
When the channel was known as Setenta Sports, it offered the Setanta Sports Xtra channel at no extra charge to DirecTV customers in case two live events need to be aired simultaneously.
As a part of Setanta Sports, Setanta Premium was available only to select commercial subscribers for Pay-Per-View events while most are broadcast delayed on the full-time channel.
- Gaelic Athletic Association Championship and League events.
- Scottish Premier League.
- FA Cup.
- Six Nations Championship in rugby union.
- Euro 2008 qualifiers, international soccer matches.
- FIFA World Cup Qualification, international soccer matches.
- UEFA Champions League and UEFA Cup matches
This service charged customers a cover charge of $10–$20 per head, depending on the match.
During its existence as Setanta Sports, Setanta also offered a broadband subscription service, Setanta Broadband, which allowed customers with a high speed internet connection to view some of the Setanta Sports channel content on their computers and includes access to pay-per-view events. Portuguese Liga soccer was available and Premier League matches were also broadcast starting the 2007-08 season on Setanta Broadband. Broadband customers did not receive Australian Football League matches as of July 2008, due to the league's new distribution deal with aussiesport.tv.
- Fox Soccer Plus Kicks Off As Premium, HD Channel On March 1 Multichannel News January 11, 2010
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on June 7, 2011. Retrieved March 26, 2010.
- Setanta Sports USA To Go Dark Feb. 28 - Premium Network, Transferring More Programming Rights To Fox Soccer, Will Also Cease Caribbean Operations Multichannel News January 27, 2010
- International Broadcast Information Rugby League Four Nations official site
- "Fox and TSN Extend Contract to 2016 and New TV Page Debuts". January 16, 2014. Retrieved March 15, 2015.
- "ESPN Adds Premier League To Soccer Line Up - World Soccer Talk". August 6, 2009.
- Al Jazeera to Kick Off Pair of Soccer Channels in U.S. this August Multichannel News, May 17, 2012
- "Fox Soccer Plus FAQ" (PDF). Fox Cable Networks. April 7, 2010. Retrieved April 13, 2010.
- International Super Rugby Broadcasters
- Fox Soccer Plus Set to Launch March 1 with DirecTV, Dish Network, Time Warner Cable, and Verizon FiOS Fox Soccer Plus Press Release February 26, 2010
- Bright House adds HD channels to lineup Daytona Beach News-Journal June 15, 2010
- "Fox Soccer Plus on iO TV".
- AT&T U-verse Launches Fox Soccer Plus HD Multichannel News February 21, 2011
- DIRECTV and its Television Partners Offer More World-Class Soccer Than Ever Before DirecTV Press Release August 10, 2010
- Time Warner adds high-def soccer channels in time for World Cup San Antonio Business Journal March 19, 2010
- "Optimum Cable TV, On Demand Movies, PPV- Optimum TV". www.optimum.com.