Flixton House was built in 1806 by the Wright family, who had become wealthy land owners in Flixton.
Flixton House would probably have been quite unremarkable in a national context had Ralph Wright in 1826 not closed several footpaths across his estate, footpaths that the public had until then been allowed access to.
The people of Flixton won their case, and their success led to the creation of the Manchester Association for the Preservation of Ancient Footpaths in 1826.
The Wright family continued to hold the house and land until the death of Samuel Worthington-Wright in 1934, following which Urmston Urban District Council acquired Flixton House and its 218 acres (0.88 km2) of land for £69,793.
The park was officially opened to the public in 1935. The house and park are now owned by Trafford Council.
Flixton House along with its surrounding buildings was designated a Grade II listed building in 1981.
- "2002 - 2006 Management & Improvement Plan (Working Document)" (PDF). Trafford Metropolitan Borough Council. Retrieved 2007-04-23.