Filipinos in Greece
|Regions with significant populations|
|Tagalog, English; Greek|
|Roman Catholicism, Greek Orthodox|
|Related ethnic groups|
|Filipino people, Overseas Filipinos|
Filipinos in Greece consist of migrants from the Philippines to Greece and their descendants. According to official Greek statistics, there were 5,000 Filipinos in Greece in 1991, which declined to 2,000 by 1996. In reality, there were many more working in the country illegally. The Philippine community have set up a school for their children in downtown Athens.
A large proportion are women (81% as of 1999), who generally find employment as domestic workers. The association between Filipinas and domestic work is so strong that a Greek dictionary published in 1998 even defined "Filippineza", a term which literally means Filipina, to be "a domestic worker from the Philippines or a person who performs non-essential auxiliary tasks". Migrants and the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs protested to the Greek government about the dictionary.
- Iosifides & King 1999, p. 193
- "Imson urges Greece-based OFWs to take advantage of new legalization rules", DOLE News, 2004-06-13, archived from the original on 2016-01-23, retrieved 2009-10-23
- Cañete 2004, p. 135
- Iosifides & King 1999, p. 194
- "Philippines blasts 'Filipina' entry in Greek dictionary", Kyodo News, 1998-08-10, retrieved 2009-10-23
- Iosifides, Theodoros; King, Russell (1999), "Socio-Spatial Dynamics and Exclusion of Three Immigrant Groups in the Athens Conurbation", in Baldwin-Edwards, Martin; Arango, Joaquín, Immigrants and the informal economy in Southern Europe, Routledge, pp. 186–204, ISBN 978-0-7146-4925-2. A study of Albanian, Egyptian, and Filipino migrants.
- Cañete, Leodinito Y. (2004), "Education Research with Philippine Communities in Greece: Intricacies and Possibilities", in Mutua, Kagendo; Swadener, Beth Blue, Decolonizing research in cross-cultural contexts: critical personal narratives, State University of New York Press, pp. 135–146, ISBN 978-0-7914-5979-9
- Cañete, Leodinito Y. (2001), "The Philippine community in Greece at the close of the 20th century", in Marvakis, Athanasios, Μετανάστες στην Ελλάδα/Migrants in Greece, Ellenika Grammata, ISBN 978-960-393-737-1