- Marriage, civil unions, and domestic partnerships:
- Adoption: proceedings to adopt a child and, in some cases, an adult.
- Surrogacy: the law and process of giving birth as a surrogate mother
- Child protective proceedings: court proceedings that may result from state intervention in cases of child abuse and child neglect
- Juvenile law: Matters relating to minors including status offenses, delinquency, emancipation and juvenile adjudication
- Paternity: proceedings to establish and disestablish paternity, and the administration of paternity testing
This list is not exhaustive and varies depending on jurisdiction.
Conflict of laws
Issues may arise in family law where there is a question as to the laws of the jurisdiction that apply to the marriage relationship or to custody and divorce, and whether a divorce or child custody order is recognized under the laws of another jurisdiction. For child custody, many nations have joined the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction in order to grant recognition to other member states' custody orders and avoid issues of parental kidnapping.
- California Child Actor's Bill, or the Coogan Law
- Legitimacy (family law)
- Merger doctrine (family law)
- Supervised visitation
- Algerian Family Code
- Family Court of Australia
- Family Law Act (Alberta, Canada)
- Family law system in England and Wales
- Malian Family Code
- Mudawana, the Moroccan Family Code
- The Philippines' Family Code of 1987
- Nashim, the order of the Mishnah outlining Jewish family law
- Atkinson, Jeff. "ABA Family Legal Guide" (PDF). American Bar Association. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- Larson, Aaron (4 September 2016). "What is Family Law". ExpertLaw.com. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- Weitzman, Lenore J. (1980). "The Economics of Divorce: Social and Economic Consequences of Property, Alimony and Child Support Awards". UCLA Law Review. 28: 1181. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- Wadlington, Walter. "Adoption of Adults a Family Law Anomaly". Cornell Law Review. 54: 566. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- Capron, A.M.; Radin, M.J. (1988). "Choosing Family Law over Contract Law as a Paradigm for Surrogate Motherhood". Law, Medicine and Health Care. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- Lawrie, Moloney; Smyth, Bruce M.; Weston, Ruth; Richardson, Nich; Qu, Lixia; Gray, Matthew (2007). "Allegations of family violence and child abuse in family law children's proceedings: key findings of Australian Institute of Family Studies Research Report No. 15". Family Matters. 77. Retrieved 2018-07-31. Lay summary..
- Babb, Barbara A. (1998). "Fashioning an interdisciplinary framework for court reform in family law: A blueprint to construct a unified family court". Southern California Law Review. 71: 469. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- Lee, Chang Ling (1975). "Current Status of Paternity Testing". Family Law Quarterly. 9 (4): 615–633. JSTOR 25739134.
- Currie, David P. (1966). "Suitcase Divorce in the Conflict of Laws: Simons, Rosenstiel, and Borax". The University of Chicago Law Review. 34 (1): 26–77. doi:10.2307/1598624. JSTOR 1598624.
- "International Parental Kidnapping". U.S. Department of Justice. 3 June 2015. Retrieved 31 October 2017.
- Finer, Sir Morris (1974). Report of the Committee on One-Parent Families: presented to Parliament by the Secretary of State for Social Services by command of Her Majesty July 1974. H.M.S.O.
- Klaw, Margaret (2013). Keeping It Civil: The Case of the Pre-nup and the Porsche & Other True Accounts from the Files of a Family Lawyer. Algonquin Books. ISBN 978-1616202392.
- Testimony of Barbara DaFoe Whitehead, Ph.D, Co-Director, National Marriage Project Rutgers University, before US Senate Subcommitee
- Wallerstein, Judith, Ph.D., "The Unexpected Legacy of Divorce", an analysis of the long-term effect of divorce on children; NPR interview (2001)
- R. Partain, "Comparative Family Law, Korean Family Law, and the Missing Definitions of Family", (2012) HongIk University Journal of Law, Vol. 13, No. 2.