Faculty of Education, University of Cambridge
|Dean||Professor Geoff Hayward|
Donald McIntyre Building, Hills Road, Cambridge, United Kingdom|
52°11′12.19″N 0°8′12.51″E / 52.1867194°N 0.1368083°ECoordinates: 52°11′12.19″N 0°8′12.51″E / 52.1867194°N 0.1368083°E
Courses at the school include undergraduate programme, masters and doctoral programmes, initial teacher education and training and professional development studies:
- MPhil (full-time)
- Master of Education (part-time)
- PhD (full and part-time)
- EdD (part-time)
- Undergraduate Education BA
- Postgraduate Professional Development, including an accredited Counselling Programme
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
Students at the University of Cambridge Faculty of Education also join one of the Cambridge Colleges.
The Faculty is situated on Hills Road, near Homerton College.
The University of Cambridge Faculty of Education was formed by the merger of three prior departments: the Institute of Education, the Department of Education (initially on Trumpington Street) and the teaching interests of Homerton College. The new Faculty building was designed by Building Design Partnership, and was opened in 2005 by HRH Prince Phillip. It was named the Donald McIntyre Building in 2009.
World university education subject rankings
The Faculty of Education at the University of Cambridge, according to the QS World University Rankings in Education 2017, was ranked 4th. In the 2014 UK Research Excellence Framework for Education, the faculty ranked 5th. The next REF report will be in 2021.
Research groups, interests and centres
Faculty of Education has a number of research groups, research interests and research and teaching centres which bring together academics in a variety of fields. Some Faculty researchers and initial teacher educators are partnered with the University of Cambridge Primary School, opened in 2015, which is the first of its kind.
The academic groups are:
- Education, Equality & Development
- Educational Leadership, Policy, Evaluation and Change
- Pedagogy, Language and Culture in Education
- Psychology & Education
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Education
The research interest groups include:
- Creativities and Arts
- Education and International Development
- Education Policy and Evaluation
- History, Philosophy and Sociology of Education
- Psychology and Education
- Teacher and Professional Education
- Teaching and Pedagogy
The research and teaching centres are:
- Education Reform and Innovation
- Centre for Children's Literature
- Leadership for Learning: the Cambridge Network
- PEDAL: Centre for Research on Play in Education, Development and Learning
- REAL: Research for Equitable Access and Learning
Previous research centres:
- Cambridge Primary Review Trust
- Centre for Commonwealth Education (see also OER4Schools programme)
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences of the University of Cambridge, University of Cambridge, retrieved 6 October 2010
- "Education". TopUniversities.com. 2 March 2017. Retrieved 29 October 2017.
- "2014 UK Research Excellence Framework for Education" (PDF). TimesHigherEducation.co.uk. Retrieved 29 October 2017.
- "REAL: Research for Equitable Access and Learning : Faculty of Education". www.Educ.cam.ac.uk. Retrieved 29 October 2017.
- "Centre for Commonwealth Education: Archive : Faculty of Education". www.Educ.cam.ac.uk. Retrieved 29 October 2017.