European Design Award
The European Design Awards, also known as the ED-Awards, are annual awards presented to European designers for outstanding work in the communication design field. The ED-Awards is a joint initiative of design magazines from across Europe and endorsed by the International Council of Design. The ED-Awards are judged by a panel of representatives (journalists and design critics) from fifteen European design magazines, while the winning submissions are featured in the ED-Awards Catalogue.
The ED-Awards is different than other design awards schemes in the way that the jury comprises not of peers (designers), but of design journalists and critics – people who see and judge work for a living. Further more, since the ED-Awards organisation is made up of design magazines, it provides an opportunity for everyone submitting work, to have it featured in a number of these media. A lot of stories and articles are being created through the submitted work every year.
There are 35 award categories, in seven groups, covering branding, packaging, exhibition design, typography, digital design, illustration and self-promotion, among others. There are also three special distinctions: Agency of the year, Best of show and Jury prize.
European Design Agency of the year
- 2008 Beetroot Design Group, Greece
- 2010 Lava Design, the Netherlands
- 2011 Les Graphiquants, France
- 2012 Silo, the Netherlands
- 2013 Jaeger & Jaeger, Germany
- 2014 R2, Portugal
- 2015 Ermolaev Bureau, Russia
- 2016 Raffinerie AG für Gestaltung, Switzerland
- 2017 Silo, the Netherlands
Each year's results are announced during a ceremony which is hosted in a different European city. So far, the European Design Awards ceremonies (and accompanying events) have been hosted by:
- ico-D endorsed events
- Eye Magazine
- Pool, #21 March 2012, ISSN 0976-1659, p. 3
- Categories Archived December 30, 2013, at the Wayback Machine.
- European Design Awards serão entregues no Porto em maio e as candidaturas já estão abertas
- Oslo and grafill chosen to host 2018 european design awards