|European parliamentary group|
|Formal name||European Conservative Group|
|From||16 January 1973|
|To||17 July 1979|
|Succeeded by||European Democratic Group|
|Chaired by||(Geoffrey or Angela?)|
|MEP(s)||63 (July 7, 1979)|
On 1 January 1973 the Community enlarged for the first time to include Denmark, Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom. The British Conservative Party and Danish Conservative People's Party formed their own group called the European Conservative Group on 16 January 1973.
In the ensuing years, the group collected additional centre-right members, and on 17 July 1979 it changed its name to the "European Democratic Group".
In March 2009 it was reported that the European Conservatives could be re-created as a group in the European Parliament, led by the British Conservative Party if they withdraw from the European People's Party–European Democrats (EPP-ED) group and succeed in meeting the minimum requirements for a political group in the Parliament.
On 22 June 2009, the British Conservative Party with their colleagues launched the European Conservatives and Reformists (ECR) group.
- Political Groups of the European Parliament Archived May 17, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "European Parliament profile of James Scott-Hopkins". Europarl.europa.eu. Retrieved 2016-07-31.
- "ED on Europe Politique". Europe-politique.eu. Retrieved 2016-07-31.
- "European Parliament profile of Kent S. Kirk". Europarl.europa.eu. Retrieved 2016-07-31.
- European Parliament press release 1984 Archived September 11, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Development of Political Groups in the European Parliament". Ena.lu?doc=4327&lang=2. 1997-10-13. Archived from the original on 2011-06-07. Retrieved 2016-07-31.
- Sunday 31st Jul 2016. "EUobserver / UK Tories confirm they are to leave the EPP". Euobserver.com. Retrieved 2016-07-31.
- EurActiv.com - Will UK Tories return EU Socialists to power? | EU - European Information on EU Elections 09 Archived March 16, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Conservative MEPs form new group". BBC News. 2009-06-22. Retrieved 2016-07-31.