Eparchy of Gornji Karlovac
|Eparchy of Gornji Karlovac|
|Territory||Lika, Kordun, Banija|
|Sui iuris church||
Serbian Orthodox Church|
Patriarchate of Peć (Serbia)
The Eparchy of Gornji Karlovac (Croatian: Eparhija gornjokarlovačka, Serbian: Епархија горњокарловачка; "Eparchy of Upper Karlovac") is an eparchy of the Serbian Orthodox Church seated in the city of Karlovac, Croatia. It covers the area of Banovina, Kordun, Lika, Krbava, Gorski Kotar, as well as northern Croatia and Istria.
The Serbian Orthodox Ličko-Krbavska and Zrinopoljska Eparchy was established in 1695 by metropolitan Atanasije Ljubojević and certified by Emperor Joseph I in 1707. This eparchy (from the 19th century known as the Eparchy of Upper Karlovac) was the ecclesiastical centre of the Serbian Orthodox Church in this region, populated by Serbs, the community known at the time as "Rascians".
This eparchy was under jurisdiction of the Metropolitan of Dabro-Bosna, directly under the restored Serbian Patriarch in Peć and after 1766 under the new Serbian Metropolitanate of Karlovci, comprising Lika, Banija and Kordun.
In 1993 the old Cathedral Church of Saint Nicholas and the eparchy's diocesan residence were destroyed by Croatians during the Croatian war of Independence.
- Atanasije Ljubojević (1688—1712)
- Danilo Ljubotina (1713—1739)
- Pavle Nenadović (1744—1749)
- Danilo Jakšić (1751—1771)
- Josif Stojanović (1771—1774)
- Petar Petrović (1774—1784)
- Jovan Jovanović (1783—1786)
- Genadije Dimović (1786—1796)
- Stefan Avakumović (1798—1801)
- Petar Jovanović Vidak (1801—1806)
- Mojsije Mioković (1807—1823)
- Lukijan Mušicki (1828—1837)
- Evgenije Jovanović (1839—1854)
- Sergije Kaćanski (1858—1859)
- Petar Jovanović (1859—1864)
- Lukijan Nikolajević (1865—1872)
- Teofan Živković (1874—1890)
- Mihailo Grujić (1891—1914)
- Ilarion Zeremski (1920—1931)
- Maksimilijan Hajdin (1931—1936)
- Sava Trlajić (1938—1941)
- Nikanor Iličić (1947—1951)
- Simeon Zloković (1951—1990)
- Nikanor Bogunović (1991—1999)
- Fotije Sladojević (2000—2004)
- Gerasim Popović (2004—).
- Вуковић, Сава (1996). Српски јерарси од деветог до двадесетог века (Serbian Hierarchs from the 9th to the 20th Century). Евро, Унирекс, Каленић.
- Mileusnić, Slobodan (1997). Spiritual Genocide: A survey of destroyed, damaged and desecrated churches, monasteries and other church buildings during the war 1991-1995 (1997). Belgrade: Museum of the Serbian Orthodox Church.
- Ćirković, Sima (2004). The Serbs. Malden: Blackwell Publishing.
- Official website
- The diocese of Upper Karlovac - history and destruction in war
- The Serbs in the Former SR of Croatia