England national under-16 football team
|Nickname(s)||Three Lions/England Schoolboys|
|Association||The Football Association|
England national under-16 football team, also known as England under-16s or England U16(s), represents England in association football at an under-16 age level and is controlled by the Football Association, the governing body for football in England.
Between 1925 and 2014, the England under-16 team competed in the annual Victory Shield tournament against Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Since World War II, England had won the Victory Shield outright thirty-five times and had been joint winners with Scotland eight times, with Wales twice and with both Scotland and Wales twice. However, in April 2015, the Football Association decided to withdraw from the tournament "for the foreseeable future" with the stated aim of replacing it with matches against European and global opposition.
In 2005, the team made their debut in the annual Montaigu Tournament, held in Montaigu, France. England have won the competition three times, in 2008, 2011, and 2015, defeating the hosts France in the final on all three occasions. In 2008 and 2011, England won in a penalty shoot-out after a 0–0 draw, while in 2015 they won the final outright by 3–1.
Fixtures & results 2015–16
|16 August 2015||England
||2 – 2||St George's Park, Burton upon Trent, England|
|27 October 2015||Japan
||4 – 3||Stade Didier Pironi, Limeil-Brévannes, France|
|29 October 2015||Netherlands
||2 – 2||Stade Marcel Laveau, Boissy-Saint-Léger, France|
Nike International Friendlies
(C) Champion; (H) Host.
|2 December 2015||United States
||2 – 3||Premier Sports Ranch, Lakewood Ranch, United States|
|Referee: Guido Gonzales Jr. (United States)
|4 December 2015||Brazil
||0 – 2||Premier Sports Ranch, Lakewood Ranch, United States|
|15:00 UTC−05:00||permanent dead link] Report||Foden
- "Four new interim England national coaches appointed". The Football Association. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "The Victory Shield 2008". The Football Association. 2008. Archived from the original on 2008-09-14. Retrieved 2009-02-17.
- "England to withdraw from the Victory Shield". The Football Association. Retrieved 21 April 2015.
- Wright, James (22 March 2005). "'A tremendous experience'". The Football Association. Retrieved 2009-02-17.
- "Lions win tournament". The Football Association. 24 March 2008. Archived from the original on 4 April 2008. Retrieved 2009-02-17.
- "Lions capture Montaigu crown". The Football Association. 25 April 2011. Retrieved 2011-04-26.
- "England U16s win Montaigu Tournament title in France". The Football Association. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "England youth fixtures". The Football Association. Retrieved 29 July 2015.