184.108.40.206 / 17 July 2018
|Written in||C# programming language|
|Available in||Multi Language|
|License||Release Packages: Proprietary, Parts of Source Code: GNU General Public License|
Emby (formerly Media Browser) is a media server designed to organize, play, and stream audio and video to a variety of devices. Emby's source code is mostly open with some closed-source components as of August 2017, releases of the software published via the Emby website are however proprietary and cannot be replicated from source due to the build scripts also being proprietary. Emby uses a client-server model.
Emby Server has been developed for Windows, Linux, OS X, and FreeBSD. Users can connect to the server from a compatible client, available on a wide variety of platforms including HTML5, mobile platforms such as Android and iOS, streaming devices such as Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, and Apple TV, smart TV platforms such as LG Smart TV and Samsung Smart TV, and video game consoles including the Xbox 360, and Xbox One .
While watching and streaming media with Emby server is free, a number of advanced features of its clients require an active Emby Premiere subscription. As of April 2, 2018, Emby Premiere is $4.99 monthly, $54 yearly, or a $119 "lifetime" license. For example, users can watch live TV using the HTML5 client without a subscription, but if they wish to do so on any other platform, they must have Emby Premiere. And while Emby offers live TV to the HTML5 client for free, DVR functionality is only included for Premiere users.
- Callaham, John (3 April 2015). "Media Browser for Windows 8.1 gets rebranded as Emby with new features". Windows Central. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
- "Introducing Emby". Emby Community Blog. 17 March 2015. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- "Source Code & License". Emby Community Blog. 16 August 2017. Retrieved 2017-08-19.
- "[Request] GPL Violation". Emby Community Blog. 21 March 2018. Retrieved 2017-08-19.
- "Plex vs Emby with Kodi: A Comprehensive Comparison". Multimedia Hive. 2 March 2016. Retrieved 2016-07-18.
- "7 Best Windows Media Center Alternatives". Beebom. 10 May 2016. Retrieved 2016-07-18.
- "Download Emby - Emby". emby.media. Retrieved 2015-11-16.
- Bhartiya, Swapnil (28 September 2015). "Exclusive Interview: Emby Founder Luke Pulverenti". Linux.com. Linux Foundation. Retrieved 2016-07-18.
- "Emby Premiere Feature Matrix". Emby Gitbhub. Retrieved 2 April 2018.