The remaining mound at Dunham Massey Hall
Location within Greater Manchester
|Architectural style||Probable motte-and-bailey castle|
|Town or city||Dunham Massey, Greater Manchester|
|Coordinates||53°22′58″N 2°23′58″W / 53.38274°N 2.399571°WCoordinates: 53°22′58″N 2°23′58″W / 53.38274°N 2.399571°W|
|Client||Hamon de Massey|
The castle is first referred to in 1173, in a document stating Hamo de Masci held the castles of Dunham and Ullerwood. Documentary evidence suggests the castle at Dunham was still standing in 1323. The castle fell into disuse between 1323 and 1362. It probably existed on a mound, or motte, near the site of where Dunham Massey Hall is today. The motte is 24 metres (79 ft) in diameter and survives 2 metres (6.6 ft) in height. The site was surrounded by a moat which was later turned into an ornamental lake. Dunham Castle has been confused with Watch Hill Castle in nearby Bowdon, but the two were separate castles, though both probably owned by de Masci. Dunham Castle was a Scheduled Ancient Monument, but was delisted.
- "Dunham Massey". The Gatehouse - the comprehensive gazetteer of the medieval fortifications and castles of England and Wales. Retrieved 2008-03-18.
- Mike Nevell (1997). The Archaeology of Trafford. Trafford Metropolitan Borough Council with the University of Manchester Archaeological Unit. p. 33. ISBN 1-870695-25-9.
- "Dunham Castle". Pastscape.org.uk. Retrieved 2008-02-26.