Donald L. Katz
The 1983 National Medal of Science was presented to Katz by President Ronald Reagan "for solving many practical engineering problems by delving into a wide group of sciences and making their synergistic effects evident."
Katz was chairman of the Chemical Engineering Department and A. H. White University Professor at the University of Michigan.
He was also a member of the National Academy of Engineering.
He was a father to Marvin L. Katz and Linda Katz.
Notable awards and honors
- 1950 Hanlon Award, Gas Processors Association
- 1959 President, American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- 1959 Michigan Engineer of the Year, Society of Petroleum Engineers
- 1962 Distinguished Lecturer, Society of Petroleum Engineers
- 1963 Visiting Professor, National School of Chemistry, Rio de Janeiro
- 1964 John Franklin Carll Award, Society of Petroleum Engineers
- 1964 Distinguished Faculty Achievement Award, University of Michigan
- 1964 Founders Award, American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- 1967 Warren K. Lewis Award, American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- 1968 Member, National Academy of Engineering
- 1968 William H. Walker Award, American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- 1969 Honorary Member, Phi Lambda Upsilon
- 1970 Mineral Industries Award, American Institute of Mining Engineers
- 1972 Distinguished Public Service Award, U.S. Coast Guard
- 1975 E. V. Murphree Award, American Chemical Society
- 1977 Gas Industry Research Award, American Gas Association
- 1978 Lucas Gold Medal, American Institute of Mining Engineers
- 1979 Award of Merit, Michigan Historical Society
- 1983 Selected as an Eminent Chemical Engineer, 75th Anniversary of American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- 1983 National Medal of Science
- 1984 Designated Distinguished Member, Society of Petroleum Engineers
- 1986 Honorary Member, American Institute of Mining Engineers
- New York Times:Donald Katz, 81, Dies; Oil Engineering Expert; June 10, 1989
- Memorial Tributes: National Academy of Engineering, Volume 4 (1991;National Academy of Engineering (NAE);Donald LaVERNE Katz
- New York Times:TELLER AND 10 OTHERS RECEIVE SCIENCE MEDAL FROM REAGAN;AP;May 29, 1983
- The President's National Medal of Science: Recipient Details;DONALD L. KATZ; Emeritus Professor
- New York Times:TRANSPORT NEWS: HAZARD RATINGS; Cargo-Defining System Will Be Drawn for Coast Guard;April 12, 1964
- Center for Oral History. "Donald L. Katz". Science History Institute.
- Bohning, James J. (22 August 1986). Donald L. Katz, Transcript of an Interview Conducted by James J. Bohning at Holland, Michigan on 22 August 1986 (PDF). Philadelphia, PA: The Beckman Center for History of Chemistry.