Divisions of the University of Oxford
The various academic faculties, departments, and institutes of the University of Oxford are organised into four divisions, each with its own Head and elected board. They are the Humanities Division; the Social Sciences Division; the Mathematical, Physical and Life Sciences Division; and the Medical Sciences Division.
The Humanities Division has received considerable praise for its work at the forefront of digitising the Humanities. The Humanities Division has been physically expanding into the new Radcliffe Observatory Quarter in Oxford.
The current Head of the Humanities Division is Professor Chris Wickham. Professor Sally Shuttleworth was Head from 2006 to 2011, and Professor Shearer West served as Head between August 2011 and 2015.
- Rothermere American Institute
- Faculty of Classics
- Ruskin School of Drawing and Fine Art
- Faculty of English Language and Literature
- History of Art Department
- Faculty of History
- Faculty of Linguistics, Philology & Phonetics
- Faculty of Medieval and Modern Languages
- Faculty of Music
- Faculty of Oriental Studies
- Faculty of Philosophy
- Faculty of Theology
- Voltaire Foundation
Medical Sciences Division
Medicine has been taught at the University of Oxford since the 13th century. In 1770, John Radcliffe, an Oxford-educated physician founded the Radcliffe Infirmary. The current Head of the division is Gavin Screaton.
- Nuffield Department of Anaesthetics
- Department of Biochemistry
- Division of Cardiovascular Medicine
- Nuffield Division of Clinical Laboratory Sciences
- Nuffield Department of Clinical Medicine
- Department of Clinical Neurology
- Nuffield Department of Clinical Neurosciences
- Clinical Pharmacology
- Oxford Centre for Diabetes, Endocrinology & Metabolism (OCDEM)
- Department of Experimental Psychology
- Oxford Centre for Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Brain (FMRIB)
- Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics
- Investigative Medicine Division
- Medical Oncology
- Radcliffe Department of Medicine
- Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine
- Nuffield Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Department of Oncology
- Nuffield Laboratory of Ophthalmology
- Nuffield Department of Orthopaedics, Rheumatology and Musculoskeletal Sciences
- Department of Paediatrics
- Sir William Dunn School of Pathology
- Department of Pharmacology
- Department of Physiology, Anatomy & Genetics
- Nuffield Department of Population Health
- Nuffield Department of Primary Care Health Sciences
- Department of Psychiatry
- Department of Public Health
- Gray Institute for Radiation Oncology and Biology
- Nuffield Department of Surgical Sciences
Mathematical, Physical and Life Sciences Division (MPLS)
- Begbroke Science Park
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Earth Sciences
- Department of Engineering Science
- Department of Materials
- Mathematical Institute
- Oxford E-Research Centre
- Department of Physics
- Department of Plant Sciences
- Department of Statistics
- Department of Zoology
Social Sciences Division
The Social Sciences Division represents the largest grouping of social sciences of any University in the United Kingdom. As a major provider of social science research, it is accredited by the Economic and Social Research Council as a Doctoral Training Centre of excellence in research training. The Division's current Head is Professor Roger Goodman.
- School of Anthropology and Museum Ethnography
- School of Archaeology
- Saïd Business School
- Department of Economics
- Department of Education
- Smith School of Enterprise and the Environment
- School of Geography and the Environment
- Blavatnik School of Government
- School of Interdisciplinary Area Studies
- Department of International Development (Queen Elizabeth House)
- Oxford Internet Institute
- Faculty of Law
- Oxford Martin School
- Department of Politics and International Relations
- Oxford-Man Institute of Quantitative Finance
- Department of Social Policy and Intervention
- Department of Sociology
- "Status VII: Divisions, Faculties, Sub-faculties, Departments, and the Department for Continuing Education". Statutes and Regulations of the University of Oxford. University of Oxford. 1 October 2012.
- "Oxford humanities goes digital". myScience. 18 April 2010.
- "Viñoly and Bennetts Associates' designs for Oxford University revealed". 15 October 2009.
- "... and welcome to Professor Chris Wickham as Head of the Humanities Division for 2015/16". Humanities Division. University of Oxford. 3 September 2015. Archived from the original on 27 October 2015. Retrieved 25 October 2015.
- "New Head of Humanities appointed". University of Oxford. 9 February 2011. Archived from the original on 26 April 2013.
- Humanities Division - University of Oxford
- "The History of the Oxford Medical School". University of Oxford. Archived from the original on 27 January 2007. Retrieved 8 July 2013.
- History of Medical Sciences
- Medical Sciences - University of Oxford
- Mathematical, Physical and Life Sciences Division - University of Oxford Archived November 9, 2014, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Welcome to the Social Sciences Division". University of Oxford. Archived from the original on 29 May 2014. Retrieved 29 May 2014.
- "Development Programme - Social Sciences Division, University of Oxford". University of Oxford. Archived from the original on 29 May 2014. Retrieved 29 May 2014.
- "Social Sciences". University of Oxford. Retrieved 29 May 2014.
- "Funding - Social Sciences Division, University of Oxford". University of Oxford. Archived from the original on 29 May 2014. Retrieved 29 May 2014.
- "About Us - Social Sciences Division, University of Oxford". University of Oxford. Retrieved 29 May 2014.
- Departments - Social Sciences Division, University of Oxford