Discovery Travel & Living (European TV channel)
|Discovery Travel & Living|
|Launched||1 October 1998|
|Closed||30 April 2013|
|Owned by||Discovery, Inc.|
|Picture format||576i (4:3 SDTV)|
|Formerly called||Discovery Travel & Adventure Channel (1998-2005)|
TLC (in Poland, Norway, Balkans, Sweden, Romania, Denmark and Latvia)|
Investigation Discovery (Netherlands and Flanders)
Investigation Discovery +1 (UK and Ireland)
Discovery Travel & Living was a former television channel broadcasting to several countries in Europe. Much of the schedule was taken up by programmes about real estate, most notably A Place in the Sun and its spinoffs, as well as House Doctor.
Discovery Travel & Living was launched as Discovery Travel & Adventure Channel on 1 October 1998. It featured more adventure-related programmes. On 1 February 2005 it was repositioned and rebranded as Discovery Travel & Living as a part of a "lifestyle" package from Discovery Communications, also including Discovery Home & Health and Discovery Real Time. It would now heavily feature lifestyle programming about travel, food, design, architecture and luxury.
A one-hour timeshifted version named Discovery Travel & Living +1 launched on Sky on 24 November 2008. The timeshift channel closed on 20 January 2009 to make way for the launch of Investigation Discovery.
For most of the 2000s (decade), the channel was broadcasting one single version to all of Europe, except the United Kingdom and Italy. Discovery Travel & Living launched in Poland on 15 September 2009. Starting in 2010, Discovery Networks have started launching further local channels called TLC. These channels replaced the Pan-European Discovery Travel & Living.
The following TLC channels have replaced the Pan-European version of Discovery Travel & Living.
- TLC Poland (launched September 2009, became TLC in October 2010)
- TLC Norway (launched 4 March 2010)
- TLC Balkans (launched 1 October 2010)
- TLC Sweden (launched 2 December 2010)
- TLC Romania (launched 20 January 2011)
- TLC Denmark (launched 6 October 2011)
- TLC Latvia (launched 20 February 2012)
The channel closed along with Discovery Real Time in the UK and Ireland on 30 April 2013, to be replaced by Investigation Discovery +1.
Programmes broadcast on the channel include:
- Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations
- Cake Boss
- Europe's Richest People
- Flip That House
- Grand Designs
- House Doctor
- Jon & Kate Plus 8
- LA Ink
- Little People, Big World
- Miami Ink
- Offspring (TV series)
- A Place in the Sun
- Say Yes to the Dress
- Take Home Chef
- The World's Richest People
- Toddlers & Tiaras
- What Not to Wear
- While You Were Out
Distribution in Scandinavia
In the Nordic region, Canal Digital had exclusive rights to broadcast the channel on satellite. It became available from Canal Digital in September 1999 with Discovery Civilisation and Discovery Sci-Trek. Following a new contract signed in late 2005, Discovery Travel & Living was moved to Canal Digital's family package.
Discovery Travel & Adventure was given a license to broadcast in the terrestrial network in Sweden in early 2004. Broadcasting could commence on 26 April 2004. Following a license change in March 2008, Discovery Travel & Living would have to move to a new transmitter network that, at the time had not yet been built. Discovery Travel & Living stopped broadcasting terrestrially on 1 April 2008. Due to a dispute between the transmitter company Teracom and Swedish Post and Telecom Authority, the transmitter network was delayed, which meant the channel couldn't resume its broadcasts. Broadcasts could commence once again in December 2009.
The channel has been available terrestrially in Estonia and in Denmark from November 2009.
- Boehm, Erich (1998-08-19). "Discovery unveils digital TV nets". Variety. Retrieved 2018-03-31.
- "Ny livsstilskanal - Discovery Travel & Living". tvnyt.com. January 11, 2005.
- "Simply replaces Baby Channel with Simply Movies". The Airwaves. November 25, 2008. Archived from the original on July 24, 2011.
- "Discovery Travel&Living krijgt strakke make-over". Reklameweek.nl. May 28, 2009.
- "Herpositionering Discovery Travel & Living". Totaal TV. May 27, 2009.
- "Kvinnekanal lanseres av Discovery". Canal Digital. February 18, 2010. Archived from the original on April 30, 2010.
- "Discovery TLC Balkan odstartuje 1. října". Parabola.cz. August 31, 2010.
- Jarco Kriek (June 20, 2011). "Investigation Discovery neemt plaats Discovery Travel & Living in". Totaal TV.
- Robert Briel (July 4, 2011). "Discovery: major launch for Dutch TLC". Broadband TV News.
- Hadley, Paul (2013-04-24). "Changes to Discovery channels this month". Entertainment Interactive. Retrieved 2013-04-30.