A disciplinary repository (or subject repository) is an online archive containing works or data associated with these works of scholars in a particular subject area. Disciplinary repositories can accept work from scholars from any institution. A disciplinary repository shares the roles of collecting, disseminating, and archiving work with other repositories, but is focused on a particular subject area. These collections can include academic and research papers.
Disciplinary repositories can acquire their content in many ways. Many rely on author or organization submissions, such as SSRN. Others such as CiteSeerX crawl the web for scholar and researcher websites and download publicly available academic papers from those sites. AgEcon, established in 1995, grew as a result of active involvement of academia and societies.
A disciplinary repository generally covers one broad based discipline, with contributors from many different institutions supported by a variety of funders; the repositories themselves are likely to be funded from one or more sources within the subject community. Deposit of material in a disciplinary repository is sometimes mandated by research funders.
Disciplinary repositories can also act as stores of data related to a particular subject, allowing documents along with data associated with that work to be stored in the repository.
What was believed to be the first public Workshop on Disciplinary Repositories was held on June 16 and 17, 2011, at the ACM Joint Conference on Digital Libraries in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
- This is a list of OA disciplinary respositories (also called central or subject repositories) taken from the Open Access Directory . Unless otherwise noted, they accept relevant deposits regardless of the author's institutional affiliation.
- For a bibliography of works on disciplinary repositories, see the section on Disciplinary Archives in the OAD Bibliography of open access.
- Related lists in OAD: Data repositories.
- For news about disciplinary repositories, including some newly launched repositories not yet listed here, follow the oa.repositories.disciplinary tag of the Open Access Tracking Project.
- Alphabetical by field.
- AgEcon Search. Research in agriculture and applied economics. From the University of Minnesota. (Also listed under Economics.)
- DSpice@ISSR. From the ISSR (Indian Institute of Spices Research).
- ICRISAT (International Crops Institute for Semi-Arid Tropics) Open Access Repository. From the [http://www.icrisat.org/ ICRISAT.
- Infoteca-e. The collections comprise self-edited materials such as books for technology transfer, primers, radio and television programs with information related to the several areas of expertise. Appropriate language is used to ensure that farmers, extensionists, agricultural technicians, students and teachers from rural schools, cooperatives and other sectors of agricultural production are able to assimilate information more easily and, as a result, to appropriate themselves of the technologies developed by Brazilian Agricultural Research Corporation (Embrapa). From the Embrapa.
- OpenAgri Repository. From Agropedia.
- Organic Eprints. From the Danish Research Centre for Organic Farming (DARCOF). All languages.
- Electronic Theses and Dissertations Collection. From the University of Agricultural Sciences Dharwad.
- SIDALC [Agriculture Information and Documentation Service of the Americas).
- Virtual Open Access Agriculture & Aquaculture Repository.
- Anthropology & Archaeology Research Network (AARN). Supported by the American Anthropological Association (AAA).
- Folklore Studies. From Indiana University.
- Mana'o. A repository for anthropology of the Asia-Pacific region, hosted by the Department of Anthropology at the University of Hawai’i at Manoa.
Architecture and Civil Engineering
- ART-Dok. German, English, French etc.
Biology / Life sciences
- Also see medicine.
- Animal Studies Repository (ASR). By the Humane Society Institute for Science and Policy (HSISP).
- bioRxiv The preprint server for biology. Operated by Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.
- Nature Precedings. Documents in bioinformatics, genetics, molecular cell biology, neuroscience, ecology, and several other subjects.
- Plazi. On taxonomic research. From Plazi.
- Threatened and Endangered Species Document Repository. From the US Department of Defense (DoD), and limited to research on threatened and endangered species on the 30 million acres of land under DoD stewardship.
- Also see mathematics.
- BDB Comp (Biblioteca Digital Brasileira de Computaca). In Portuguese.
- CiteSeerx. Successor to CiteSeer. From Lee Giles. (The original CiteSeer was from Giles, Steve Lawrence, and Kurt Bollacker.)
- Computing Research Repository. From the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), arXiv, Networked Computer Science Technical Reference Library (NCSTRL), and the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI).
- DSpace at the University of Texas at Austin School of Information.
- Electronic Proceedings in Theoretical Computer Science. An OA repository for refereed conference proceedings.
- HAL INRIA. In French.
- Cryptology eprint Archive. English.
- ERPAePRINTS. All languages.
- EarthChem Geosciences, with a focus on geochemical, geochronological, and petrological data. Hosted at the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory at Columbia University.
- Earth Prints. Focuses on atmosphere, cryosphere, hydrosphere, solid Earth, and Earth sciences in general. All languages.
- GEO-LEO. English, German, etc., but only publications from the German speaking area.
- Karst Information Portal. A joint project of the National Cave & Karst Research Institute, University of South Florida Libraries, University of New Mexico Libraries, and the Union Internationale de Spéléologie.
- ShareGeo. From EDINA.
- AgEcon Search. Research in agriculture and applied economics. From the University of Minnesota. (Also listed under Agriculture.)
- Economists Online. From the Nereus consortium. Info July 2013: Economists Online will close its service by the end of this year.
- EconStor. The repository focuses on Publications from Germany, mainly from institutions, but also from single authors.
- Munich RePEc Personal Archive. All languages. "The topic should relate to economics, including the contiguous historical, social, and behavioral sciences and statistical as well as mathematical methods related to economics."
Education 1 (Research)
(This is a list of repositories for research in the field of education. For repositories of open educational resources, see Education 2, below.)
- African Higher Education Research Online. English. African Higher Education Research Online (AHERO) is an open access archive of texts that focus on the study, practice and governance of higher education in Africa.
- ALT Open Access Repository. From the Association for Learning Technology.
- ERIC (Education Resources Information Center).
- HEER (Higher Education Empirical Research). From the Open University Centre for Higher Education Research and Information (CHERI). Only CHERI-written summaries of the original research papers are OA through HEER.
- OER Research. A repository for research on open educational resources (OERs). Accepts submissions "in just about every language" (Personal Mail, November 8, 2008). From IssueLab and the Hewlett Foundation.
- pedocs. German, English.
- TeLearn. Multilingual. TeLearn is a multidisciplinary and multilingual open archive on technology enhanced learning (TEL). It was launched late 2006 by the Kaleidoscope European Network of Excellence (EC funded project of the 6th R&D framework programme).
Education 2 (OER)
(This is a list of repositories for open educational resources. Also see the OAD list of OER lists, in our section of Lists maintained by others. For repositories for research in the field of education, see Education 1, above.)
- Connexions. From Rice University.
- CSTA Source. "An Online Repository of K-12 Computer Science Teaching and Learning Materials." From the Computer Science Teachers Association (CSTA).
- MERLOT (Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching).
- JorumOpen. Open educational resources from the UK.
- OER Commons.
- OER Research.
- Pedocs. German educational portal.
- RELPE (Red Latinoamericana Portales Educativos/ Latin American Network of Education Portals).
- SOL*R (Sharable Online Learning Resources. "A Repository of Freely Available Online Learning Resources." "For British Columbia public post-secondary educators."
German Literature and Language
- ReliefWeb. From the United Nations.
Humanities in general
Library and information science
- E-LIS. International in scope. All languages. Abstracts in English.
- LDL: Librarians' Digital Library. English and Indic Scripts. Based at DRTC, Bangalore, India
- DList. English. As of 2013, DLIST is temporarily closed to new submissions.
- ALPS Link Community Portal. Shareable library instructional materials / learning objects. Based in British Columbia, Canada.
- Also see the 40+ members of the Open Language Archives Community (OLAC).
- ACL Anthology. English. "A Digital Archive of Research Papers in Computational Linguistics" from the Association for Computational Linguistics.
- CogPrints. English.
- LingBuzz. English
- OAOB (Open Access to Oriya books)
- semanticsarchive.net. "For exchanging papers of interest to natural language semanticists and philosophers of language."
- Aquatic Commons. The fresh- and brackish-water counterpart to OceanDocs, below. (From the same agencies?)
- Avano. Harvesting many marine science repositories for OAI-based cross-archive searching. From L'Ifremer (Institut français de recherche pour l'exploitation de la mer, or the French Research Institute for Exploitation of the Sea).
- Archimer (Archive Institutionnelle de l'Ifremer). From L'Ifremer (Institut français de recherche pour l'exploitation de la mer, or the French Research Institute for Exploitation of the Sea).
- Central and Eastern European Marine Repository (CEEMAR). From the Institute of Biology of the Southern Seas (IBSS). Deposits limited to those from scientists in European Countries in Economic Transition (ECET).
- DRS@nio. From India's National Institute of Oceanography.
- Institute of Biology of the Southern Seas E-Repository. From the Institute of Biology of the Southern Seas (IBSS) of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine.
- Marine & Ocean Science ePrints Archive. From the UK's Plymouth Marine Laboratory.
- The Marine Institute's Open Access Repository. From Ireland's Marine Institute.
- OceanDocs. From Hasselt University, the UN's Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), and the UN's Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commssion / International Oceanographic Data and Information Exchange (IOC/IODE). The salt water counterpart to the Aquatic Commons, above.
- Woods Hole Open Access Server. From the US Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution.
- Also see computer science.
- Arxiv. Fields: Physics, mathematics, computer science, quantitative biology, and statistics.
- The Logic Forum.
- Real Algebraic and Analytic Geometry (RAAG). Preprint server for recent developments in real algebraic and analytic geometry theory. Hosted by the University of Manchester School of Mathematics.
- Also see biology / life sciences.
- Biblioteca Virtual en Salud (BVS). In Spanish.
- e-ms, Eprints Open Archive in Social Medicine and related fields. All languages. Field: Social medicine and related fields.
- Minority Health Archive. From the Center for Minority Health at the University of Pittsburgh.
- NECOBELAC (Network of Collaboration Between Europe and Latin America-Caribbean Countries).
- Open Medical Abstracts. OMA is an Open Access-exclusive abstracting service covering all areas of medical sciences (e.g., Psychiatry, Neurology, Physiology, Dentistry, etc.) only Open Access materials from peer-reviewed journals are included. The service is provided free-of-charge and the database is updated quarterly.
- OpenMED@NIC. All languages (non-English documents must have metadata, abstract and keywords in English). Fields: "Medical and Allied Sciences including Bio-Medical, Medical Informatics, Dental, Nursing and Pharmaceutical Sciences".
- PubMed Central. From the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH).
- MetRep. From JISC's Overlay journal infrastructure for Meteorological Sciences (OJIMS) project. The repository is forthcoming.
- Also see Humanities; Social Sciences.
- arXiv. From Cornell University Library.
- Biblioteca Digital Andina. An Andean community initiative.
- CORE! (Commons Open Repository Exchange). A "a library-quality repository for sharing, discovering, retrieving, and archiving digital work." By MLA Commons.
- The Digital Library of the Caribbean.
- eGyanKosh. From The Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU).
- Global Open Access Portal. Listings of major open access repositories, searchable by discipline and geographic region. (See its Multidisciplinary subsection).
- Hyper Articles en Ligne (HAL) (Hyper Articles Online). From France's Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS). In French and English.
- Iniciativa Metabiblioteca (MetaBibilioteca Initiative). Biblioteca Digital de Libros de Acceso Abierto (Digital Library of Open Access Books). In Spanish and English.
- IssueLab. For research by non-profit organizations, in any field.
- Latindex. "A regional network with participation of national focal points in 18 countries of Latin America and the Caribbean." In Spanish.
- LSE Research Online. From the London School of Economics and Political Science.
- MANIOC. A scientific and cultural open access repository specializing on the Caribbean, the Amazon, the Guyana Plateau. From the University of Antilles-Guiana.
- NISCAIR Online Periodicals Repository. Multilingual.
- OpenDOAR (The Directory of Open Access Repositories). Searches can be limited to disciplinary repositories.
- OpenSIGLE (Open System for Information on Grey Literature in Europe). From Institut de l’Information Scientifique et Technique (INIST). Some contents are just bibliographic citations, and some (about 200 conference preprints on grey literature) are full texts.
- Polish Digital Library Federation Polish Network of digital libraries, open content from all fields.
- Poverty Research Archive. Search engine for materials about poverty research and reduction. Provided by Karsten Weitzenegger Consulting.
- Preprints - The Multidisciplinary Preprint Platform.
- Red de Revistas Científicas de América Latina y el Caribe, España y Portugal (Redalyc). In Spanish and English.
- World Bank Open Knowledge Repository. Created by World Bank.
- Zenodo. Open content from all fields of the sciences.
- For logic, see Mathematics.
- Ethics in Science and Engineering National Clearinghouse (ESENCe). "A digital repository of materials on ethics and the responsible and ethical conduct of research in science and engineering, including the social sciences." Hosted by the U of Massachusetts Amherst.
- Philosophy Research Network. From SSRN.
- PhilPapers. From David Chalmers and David Bourget.
- PhilSci Archive. All languages. Field: Philosophy of science. From the Center for Philosophy of Science at the University of Pittsburgh.
- Sammelpunkt. Elektronisch archivierte Theorie. German, English, etc.
- semanticsarchive.net. "For exchanging papers of interest to natural language semanticists and philosophers of language."
- Arxiv - Policy: all languages. Fields: Physics, mathematics, computer science, quantitative biology, and statistics.
- CERN Document Server. English. Field: particle physics.
- InterNano. For "resources about the advances in applications, devices, metrology, and materials that will facilitate the commercial development and/or marketable application of nanotechnology." From the National Nanomanufacturing Network.
- Magnetic Resonance Online Texts. From Stanislav Sykora.
- Nano Archive. From the ICPCNanoNet project.
Public policy research
Sciences in general
- PERIÓDICA. Latin American Index of Science Journals (Indice de Revistas Latinoamericanas en Ciencia/Sciences). From Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México. In Spanish.
- Publications of IAS Fellows. From the Indian Academy of Sciences (IAS).
- Chemical Sciences Article Repository. By the Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Scientific Electronic Library Online (SciELO). In Portuguese, Spanish, and English.
- World Wide Science. Developed and maintained by the Office of Science and Technical Information (OSTI). Multilingual options.
Social sciences in general
- Citas Latinoamericanas en Ciencias Sociales y Humanidades/Social Sciences and Humanities (CLASE). From Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México.
- CLACSO´s Latin America and the Caribbean Social Sciences Digital Repository. Contents mainly in Spanish and Portuguese, from a network of 230 social science institutions of 21 countries from the region.
- Digital Repositories E-Science Network (DReSNeT). From the UK Engineering & Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC). A network of social science repositories for texts and data.
- Digital Repository of the Institute for Population and Social Research. From the Institute for Population and Social Research, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand.
- HAL-SHS. All languages. A division of HAL focusing on the humanities and social sciences.
- Refugee Research Network. Hosted by York University.
- Social Science Research Network (SSRN). English.
- Social Science Open Access Repository (SSOAR).
Technology in general
- CalTech Theses. From Caltech Library.
- Cemadoc. In French.
- QUT (Queensland University of Technology ) Eprints. From Queensland University of Technology.
- AgEcon: Agriculture and Applied Economics
- Astrophysics Data System – Astrophysics
- arXiv – Physics
- bioRxiv – Biology
- CiteSeer – Computer and Information Science
- Dryad – Biosciences
- Econstor – Economics and Business Studies
- PhilPapers – Philosophy
- PubMed – Medicine
- RePEc – Economics
- Social Science Research Network – Social Sciences
- "The Internet and Unrefereed Scholarly Publishing". 2003. Retrieved 2010-12-01.
- "Institutional Repositories: Essential Infrastructure for Scholarship in the Digital Age". 2003. Retrieved 2010-12-14.
- "AgEcon Search: An International Disciplinary Repository". 2009. Retrieved 2010-12-01.
- "Development of Disciplinary Repositories: A Case Study of Open DOAR". 2010. Archived from the original on 2010-09-23. Retrieved 2010-11-20.
- "Digital Repositories and Field-Specific Digital Libraries: Opportunities and Challenges". 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-22.
- "ChemRxiv™ Beta open for submissions and powered by Figshare - American Chemical Society". American Chemical Society. Retrieved 2017-12-21.
- Open Access Directory, "Disciplinary repositories"