Founded in 1996
|Minor league affiliations|
|League||South Atlantic League|
|Major league affiliations|
|Current||Baltimore Orioles (1993–94, 1997–present)|
|Minor league titles|
|League titles (2)||
Black, orange, white
|Ballpark||Arthur W. Perdue Stadium (1996–present)|
|7th Inning Stretch LP|
|General Manager||Chris Bitters|
The Delmarva Shorebirds are a Minor League Baseball team based in Salisbury, Maryland. They are members of the Single-A South Atlantic League and affiliates of the Baltimore Orioles. The Shorebirds play at Arthur W. Perdue Stadium.
The name "Shorebirds" refers to the marine waterfowl of the Delmarva Peninsula. The team name was chosen by 7-year-old Katie Duffy of Newark, Delaware. The team's geographic appellation is a portmanteau of the states that govern counties on the peninsula: Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia (abbreviated VA). The Shorebirds have won two South Atlantic League championships, in 1997 and 2000. Also in 1997, the Shorebirds received Baseball America’s Bob Freitas Award for Class A baseball.
The Shorebirds hosted the 2011 South Atlantic League "Strike Out Hunger" All-Star Game on June 21, 2011. The Shorebirds partnered with Perdue Farms, the Community Foundation of the Eastern Shore and Delmarva's three food banks: Eastern Shore Branch of the Maryland Food Bank, the Food Bank of Delaware, and the Eastern Shore Branch of the Food Bank of Southeastern Virginia; to help "Strike Out Hunger". Perdue and the Community Foundation of the Eastern Shore donated $20 to the food banks for each strike out by a Shorebirds pitcher during the Shorebirds 2011 season.
The Shorebirds can be found on Fox Sports 960 AM, the Shorebirds Flagship Station since 2005. Former announcers include Randy Scott, Bret Lasky and Brendan Gulick. The current voice of the Shorebirds is Will DeBoer.
Delmarva Shorebirds roster
60-day disabled list
- Michael Barrett (1996)
- Erik Bedard (2005)
- Mike Bordick (2001) MLB All-Star
- Zach Britton (2008) 2 x MLB All-Star
- Orlando Cabrera (1996)
- Endy Chavez (2012)
- Delino DeShields (1999)
- Mike Guerra (1938)
- Pat Hentgen (2002) 3 x MLB All-Star; 1996 AL Cy Young Award
- Ty Kelly (2010–11)
- Nick Markakis (2004) MLB All-Star
- Stu Miller (1949) 2 x MLB All-Star; 1958 NL ERA Leader
- Brian Roberts (1999, 2012) 2 x MLB All-Star
- Jayson Werth (1998) MLB All-Star
- Scott Williamson (2007) MLB All-Star; 1999 NL rookie of the Year
- Baker, Kent (September 21, 1995). "South Atlantic League will have Delmarva Shorebirds next season; Kirk group buying team, will move it to Salisbury". The Baltimore Sun.
- "2011 All-Star Game". Delmarva Shorebirds. MiLB. October 13, 2010. Archived from the original on April 11, 2011.
- "Plans Announced to "Strike Out Hunger"". Delmarva Shorebirds. MiLB. February 2, 2011. Archived from the original on November 11, 2012.
- "Perdue, CFES to Donate $20 Per Strike Out". Delmarva Shorebirds. MiLB. April 13, 2011. Archived from the original on October 17, 2012.