Location in Maharashtra, India
|Coordinates: 18°43′N 73°46′E / 18.72°N 73.77°ECoordinates: 18°43′N 73°46′E / 18.72°N 73.77°E|
|Elevation||594 m (1,949 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
As of 2011 India census, Dehu had a population of 6,133 of which 3,178 are males while 2,955 are females. Dehu has an average literacy rate of 88.64 %, higher than the national average of 74.04%: male literacy is 92.79% and, female literacy is 84.22%. In Dehu, 10.76% of the population is under 6 years of age. More, Kalokhe, Chavan and Hagavne are famous surnames in Dehu. Dehu is very nice village having historical temple of Saint Tukaram Maharaj.
Holy Indrayani river which flows through Dehu which later flows through Alandi. The place where Lord Vitthal gave blessings to Saint Tukaram, which is now the main temple in Dehu consisting of 'Swayambhu' (self-existing) idols of Lord Vitthal and goddess rakhumai is situated on the banks of river Indrayani.
Dehu is a place of Sant Tukaram - well known sant in Maharashtra. He lived here and taught people how to pray to god. He and Sant Dnyaneshwar were the popular sants and both worshiped Lord Vitthal. The 'Palakhi' in the month of 'Ashadh' from Dehu is one of the main attractions of Dehu. Many people have taken part in it many years. Dehu is a place where the 'Abhang 'of Sant Tukaram can be remembered. One can see his temple here on the banks of the river. This temple was constructed by his younger son Narayanbaba in 1723. Various other temples nearby are worth seeing. A rock where Sant Tukaram was on fast is also here. Sant Tukaram will always be remembered for his Abhang and Gatha.
Important Places associated with Tukaramji in Dehu are:
- Tukaram Maharaj Janm Sthan Temple, Dehu – place where Tukaramji was born, around which a temple was built later
- Sant Tukaram Vaikunthstan Temple, Dehu – from where Tukaramji ascended to Vaikunth in his mortal form; there is a nice ghat behind this temple along the Indrayani river
- Sant Tukaram Maharaj Gatha Mandir, Dehu – modern structure; massive building housing a big statue of Tukaram; In the Gatha temple, about 4,000 abhangs (verses) created by Tukaram maharaj were carved on the walls.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dehu.|
- "Census of India 2011: Data from the 2011 Census, including cities, Villages and Towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "Dehu City Population Census 2011 - Maharashtra". www.census2011.co.in. Retrieved 2017-10-17.
- MyGuru. "Sant Tukaram details | Sant Tukaram information". www.myguru.in. Retrieved 2017-10-17.
- "TUKARAM (SANT)". Sagar World. 2017-03-08. Retrieved 2017-10-17.
- "Tukaram 17th century Marathi poet - Dehu, Pune, Maharashtra, India". tukaram.com. Retrieved 2017-10-17.
- "Dehu and Alandi - Sovereign Maharashtra". www.maharashtramaza.info. Retrieved 2017-10-17.
- "Indrayani River in India". Retrieved 2017-10-17.