|Publisher||Time Inc. UK|
|Country||United Kingdom, United States|
Decanter is a wine and wine-lifestyle magazine, published in about 90 countries on a monthly basis. The magazine includes industry news, vintage guides and wine and spirits recommendations. Decanter also organizes the annual Decanter World Wine Awards.
History and profile
Following the success of wine columns in British newspapers, the magazine was founded in London in 1975. It is the oldest consumer wine publication in the United Kingdom. According to author Evelyne Resnick, it has a comparable function for UK than the Wine Spectator has in the United States. As of 2011, it was published in 91 countries, including China as its last addition in 2005. Columnists and regular contributors include several Masters of Wine.
The magazine mainly focuses on wines available in the United Kingdom's market. While it is aimed to consumers, a significant part of its audience also consists both of traders and producers. Its contents include news, topical dissertations, travel surveys, interviews, analysis and market reports. Differently from other magazines which focus on many wines from various regions and countries, Decanter issues offer in-depth reviews of wines from two regions at times. Decanter's readers are generally younger than the readers similar publications, with 41% readers under 45 years old.
The magazine launched its website, Decanter.com, in 1999. The website is considered as a leading online wine magazine. Among its services, it offers a wine investment guide in conjunction with Berry Bros. & Rudd.
Decanter World Wine Awards
Decanter World Wine Awards (DWWA) is a wine competition founded in 2004 and is the world's biggest wine competition with over 15,000 entries per year. The results of the competition are published on Decanter's website and in Decanter's August edition.
- "Guy Woodward appointed editor of Decanter". Press Office Release. IPC Media. 2007-03-05. Archived from the original on 2007-03-14. Retrieved 2007-03-10.
- Evelyne Resnick (2008). Wine Brands: Success Strategies for New Markets, New Consumers and New Trends. Springer Publishing. pp. 115–6. ISBN 0230583733.
- Mike Veseth (2011). Wine Wars. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers. pp. 58–9, 126–8. ISBN 0742568210.
- Peter Temple (2010). The Handbook of Alternative Assets: Making Money from Art, Rare Books, Coins and Banknotes, Forestry, Gold and Precious Metals, Stamps, Wine and Other Alternative Assets. Harriman House Limited. ISBN 1906659214.
- Keith Grainger; Hazel Tattersall (2016). Wine Production and Quality. John Wiley & Sons. p. 290. ISBN 1118934555.
- Colin Michael Hall; Richard Mitchell (2008). Wine Marketing: A Practical Guide. Routledge. p. 80. ISBN 0750654201.