Dawood University of Engineering and Technology
|Motto||Dissemination of knowledge to all who wish to strive|
|Chancellor||Governor of Sindh|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Dr. Faizullah Abbasi|
|Registrar||Engr. Capt (R) Syed Waqar Hussain|
|Location||Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan|
|Colours||Cyan, black, white|
Established in 1962 as a public university, its initial financial endowment and foundation stone of the Dawood College of Engineering & Technology was laid by the former President of Pakistan (Late) Ayub Khan in 1962. The university was established by Dawood Foundation under the supervision of Seth Ahmed Dawood in 1964. It is regarded as one of the oldest institutions of higher learning in engineering and science, and offers undergraduate programmes in engineering and architecture. It is one of the notable institutions in Karachi and secured its place in the engineering category by the HEC, as of 2010.
On March 2013 the Sindh Assembly passed the Sindh ACT No. XII of 2013, upgrading it to a university. Its academic and administrative control has been vested in the Syndicate, Senate and Academic Council as per ACT. The Vice-Chancellor is the principal executive and academic officer of the university.
Dawood University of Engineering and Technology has two campuses. The main campus is where all engineering programs are conducted. On the Iqbal campus, architecture and planning programs are conducted. The university offers four year degree programs in the field of engineering and five year degree programs in the field of architecture.
The Engineering departments include Electronics, Chemical, Industrial & Management and Metallurgy & Materials. In the 2010–2011 session, the university introduced four new departments: Energy & Environment, Petroleum & Gas, Telecommunication, and Computer System Engineering.
The university has two campuses, one located near Quaid-e-Azam Mausoleum and the other at Block-17 Gulshan-e-Iqbal, Karachi. These campuses comprise various facilities including classrooms, state of the art lending and reference libraries, laboratories, workshops, drawing halls, students' cafeteria, auditorium with a capacity of 650, seminar rooms, and girls' common room,.
Faculties and departments
The university offers B.E. degree programs. It has nine main departments:
- B.E Petroleum & Gas Engineering
- B.E Chemical Engineering
- B.E Electronics Engineering
- B.E Telecommunication Engineering
- B.E Computer System Engineering
- B.E Industrial Engineering & Management
- B.E Metallurgy & Material Engineering
- B.E Energy & Environment Engineering
- B.Arch Architecture & Planning
The main campus has adequate teaching and laboratory facilities for undergraduate programs leading to the degree of the Bachelor of Engineering in various disciplines. The library has over 10,000 books, and internet connectivity is available. The largest auditorium has a seating capacity of 600, and there is a student cafeteria.
The university offers scholarships for students securing the top three positions in class.
The university hosts sports events, arranges welcome parties and holds a book fair for new students to buy course books at discounted rates.
- "Vice-Chancellor's Message". Vice-Chancellor's Message. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
- "Registrar". Dawood University of Engineering and Technology. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
- Google. "Address and location of the DUET". Google maps inc. Google maps. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- About DUET. "About DUET". About DUET. About DUET. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- DUET Press. "University introduction". DUET. Retrieved 9 November 2013.
- "HEC Rankings". HEC Rankings. Archived from the original on 25 May 2013. Retrieved 28 April 2014.