Danish Sign Language
|Danish Sign Language|
|Region||Denmark, Greenland, Faroe Islands|
5,000 in Denmark proper; (2007)|
also in Greenland
Henri Wittmann (1991) assigned DSL to the French Sign Language family because of similarities in vocabulary. However, the founder of the first deaf school in Denmark, Peter Atke Castberg, was receptive to local sign language in 1807 and so may have introduced FSL signs to the local language rather than FSL itself.
Norwegian Sign Language is generally thought to be a descendant of DSL. However, it may well be a mixture of DSL and indigenous sign, parallel to the situation between Swedish Sign Language and Finnish Sign Language.
Icelandic Sign Language is closer; 37% of a set of analyzed signs (Aldersson 2006) were completely different in structure and a further 16% were similar but not the same. Faroese Sign Language and Greenlandic Sign Language are more clearly dialects of DSL.
- Danish Sign Language at Ethnologue (18th ed., 2015)
- Hammarström, Harald; Forkel, Robert; Haspelmath, Martin, eds. (2017). "Danish Sign Language". Glottolog 3.0. Jena, Germany: Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History.
- Hammarström, Harald; Forkel, Robert; Haspelmath, Martin, eds. (2017). "Danish Sign". Glottolog 3.0. Jena, Germany: Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History.
- Wittmann, Henri (1991). "Classification linguistique des langues signées non vocalement." Revue québécoise de linguistique théorique et appliquée 10:1.215–88.
- Brita Bergman & Elisabeth Engberg-Pedersen, 2010. Transmission of sign languages in the Nordic countries. In Brentari, ed., Sign Languages. Cambridge University Press.
- Ordbog over Dansk Tegnsprog A free online DSL dictionary.
- Aldersson, Russell R. and Lisa J. McEntee-Atalianis. 2007. A Lexical Comparison of Icelandic Sign Language and Danish Sign Language. Birkbeck Studies in Applied Linguistics Vol 2. A Lexical Comparison of Icelandic Sign Language and Danish Sign Language
Sign Language Studies | October 1, 2008 | Aldersson, Russell R; McEntee-Atalianis, Lisa J | 700+ words