Croatian Sign Language
|Croatian Sign Language|
|Hrvatski znakovni jezik|
out of 20,000 deaf
Croatian sign language (Hrvatski znakovni jezik, HZJ) is a sign language of the deaf community in Croatia. It has in the past been regarded as a dialect of Yugoslav Sign Language, although the dialectical diversity of the former Yugoslavia has not been assessed.
The first school for the deaf in Croatia was formed in Zagreb in 1885. The Sign Language and Deaf Culture conference was held in Zagreb, Croatia from May 3–5, 2001. In 2004, a project to establish a grammar of HZJ was started by researchers at Purdue University and the University of Zagreb.
The basic word order in HZJ is subject–verb–object (SVO), as it is in spoken Croatian. A two-handed manual alphabet is in widespread use; a one-handed alphabet based on the international manual alphabet, though less commonly used, has official status.
- Croatian Sign Language at Ethnologue (18th ed., 2015)
- Hammarström, Harald; Forkel, Robert; Haspelmath, Martin, eds. (2017). "Croatian Sign Language". Glottolog 3.0. Jena, Germany: Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History.
- Diane Brentari, Sign Languages, Cambridge University Press, 2010. (p.xix)
- Herbert L. Colston, Albert N. Katz; Figurative language comprehension, Routledge, 2005. (p.316)
- Croatian Sign Language, Ethnologue
- Zakon o uporabi znakovnog jezika u Bosnia i Hercegovini
- Bickford, J. Albert (2005) The Signed Languages of Eastern Europe
- Croatia profile Archived 2011-07-20 at the Wayback Machine., The European Union of the Deaf
- Cynthia J. Kellett Bidoli, Elana Ochse; English in International Deaf Communication, Peter Lang, 2008. (p.347)
- A Basic Grammar of Croatian Sign Language Archived 2011-07-16 at the Wayback Machine.
- Zakon o Hrvatskoj Radioteleviziji
- Tečaj HZJ
- Croatian Association of Deafblind Persons DODIR
- Information status and word order in Croatian Sign Language, Clinical Linguistics & Phonetics, November–December 2007; 21(11–12): 1007–1017.
- Single-handed alphabet
- Jednoručna abeceda
- (in Croatian) Dictionary of Croatian Sign Language
- (in Croatian) Croatian Deaf Portal.
- (in Croatian) Croatian Association of Deafblind People Dodir.
- (in Croatian) Croatian Association of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.
- Possession and existence in three sign languages