Mortensen with the Boston Red Sox
|Kansas City Royals|
Born: April 10, 1985|
|June 29, 2009, for the St. Louis Cardinals|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2013 season)
|Earned run average||4.68|
Clayton Grant Mortensen (born April 10, 1985) is an American professional baseball pitcher in the Kansas City Royals organization. He has played in Major League Baseball for the St. Louis Cardinals, Oakland Athletics, Colorado Rockies, and Boston Red Sox.
St. Louis Cardinals
Boston Red Sox
On January 21, 2012 Mortensen was traded to the Boston Red Sox for Marco Scutaro. Mortensen made his Red Sox debut on May 2, 2012 throwing three innings and giving up just one hit. On July 7, Mortensen was called up to the majors to be the 26th man for the Red Sox and Yankees double-header. Mortenson was recalled on August 8, when Vincente Padilla was placed on the disabled list.
Kansas City Royals
Kansas City Royals
On January 20, 2018, Mortensen signed a minor league deal with the Kansas City Royals.
Mortensen throws four pitches: a four-seam fastball and two-seam fastball at 88–90 mph, a slider at 85–87, and a circle changeup at 79–81. The slider tends to be used more against right-handed batters, and the changeup is used more against left-handed hitters. Mortensen's slider has a somewhat unusual and unpredictable movement:
My slider isn’t a typical slider. It doesn’t necessarily break right-to-left. It has more depth to it, so it’s more of a down-ball. It also has three different movements, depending on where my release point is. When I really accentuate staying on top of it — away to a righty — it will have a little depth and a little right-to-left movement. If I try to throw it down the middle, it’s more straight down. Sometimes it kind of screws. It's basically because of the way I grip it. I kind of cock my wrist a little bit. To be honest, I try to throw it as hard as I can and it just kind of does what it wants to do.
- "Gonzaga University Baseball Players Who Made It to the Major Leagues". Baseball-Almanac.com. Archived from the original on 2004-07-12. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "2007 MLB.com Draft tracker". Mlb.mlb.com. 2013-05-24. Retrieved 2013-08-27.
- "Cards offer 20 non-roster invites: Rasmus and Wallace among those to attend big-league camp". MLB.com. January 23, 2009. Retrieved January 26, 2009.
- "Cards' Greene back on disabled list (June 29, 2009)". Stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com. Retrieved 2013-08-27.
- Slusser, Susan (August 8, 2009). "Springer claimed by Tampa Bay - updated". The San Francisco Chronicle.
- "Rockies fill infield hole with Marco Scutaro | MLB.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. Retrieved 2013-08-27.
- Doyle, Ricky (June 29, 2013). "Clayton Mortensen Designated for Assignment, Jonathan Diaz Called Up in Wake of Stephen Drew's Injury". NESN. Retrieved June 30, 2013.
- Doyle, Ricky (July 3, 2013). "Clayton Mortensen Clears Waivers, Outrighted to Triple-A Pawtucket". NESN. Retrieved July 4, 2013.
- "Red Sox trade Clayton Mortensen to Royals for Quintin Berry - Sports". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 2013-08-27.
- "Clayton Mortensen Stats, Highlights, Bio". milb.com. Retrieved April 6, 2017.
- "Brooks Baseball · Home of the PitchFX Tool - Player Card: Clayton Mortensen". Brooks Baseball. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- Laurila, David (May 7, 2012). "Clayton Mortensen: Four Pitches, Hot Hand". Fangraphs. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- Slusser, Susan (October 4, 2009). "Mortensen arrested for suspected drunk driving - updated". The San Francisco Chronicle.