Church of St. Nicholas, Karlovac
|Cathedral of St. Nicholas|
|Саборна црква Светог Николе у Карловцу|
The renovated church
|Archdiocese||Eparchy of upper Karlovac|
The Church of St. Nicholas or Karlovac Cathedral (Serbian: Саборна црква Светог Николе у Карловцу), is a Serbian Orthodox church located in Karlovac, in central Croatia. The original church (destroyed in 1993) was finished in 1787, and was dedicated to Saint Nicholas. In 2007, the church was completely renovated.
Local Serbian community bought a lot of today's church in 1781, asking for constructing was sent to authorities in 1784 and permit for the construction and start of construction started in 1785. Work on church were completed in 1787, and object began with worships in 1803. Property was bought for 3,000 Forints and 12 Ducats. Josip Štiler was the constructor supervisor and architect for the new church. Construction costs of the new church were 30,000 Forints which were collected by the members of the local church municipality and by the Serb merchants from Karlovac and Trieste. Arsa Teodorović painted icons for the church's iconostasis and the building was sanctified by the bishop Petar Jovanović in 1803.
The church was devastated during World War II, and then again in 1991, during the War in Croatia, when mines were detonated inside the church by Croatian forces. The church was repeatedly blown up and robbed until final destruction in 1993.
- "IDENTITET-Saborni hram Svetog oca Nikolaja u Karlovcu". Retrieved 2013-03-30.
- "Parohija karlovačka". Retrieved 2013-03-30.
- Cetina, Nikola (July 2009). "Saborni hram svetog oca Nikolaja u Karlovcu". Identitet (in Serbian). Zagreb: Serb Democratic Forum (133).
- "Večernji list-Josipović na pravoslavni Božić nazočio liturgiji u crkvi u Karlovcu". Retrieved 2013-03-30.