|Native name||Christopher Chase-Dunn|
January 10, 1944|
Corvallis, Oregon, U.S.
|School or tradition||World-systems|
|Main interests||Systems theory, world-systems, sociology|
|Notable works||Global Formation: Structures of The World-Economy (1991)|
Education and career
Chase-Dunn earned his Ph.D. in 1975 at Stanford University (studying under John W. Meyer) and has taught at The Johns Hopkins University (1975–2000) and at the University of California, Riverside (2000–present). He is a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and served as President (2002–06) of Research Committee 02 (Economy and Society) of the International Sociological Association from 2002–06. He was Chair of the Section on International Political Economy of the International Studies Association from 1984–86, and Chair of the Section on the Political Economy of the World-System of the American Sociological Association in 1982. He founded the Institute for Research on World-Systems at the University of California, Riverside. He is founding editor of the Journal of World-Systems Research, which is the official journal of the Political Economy of the World-System section of the American Sociological Association.
Chase-Dunn is the author, co-author, editor, or co-editor of over a dozen books, including most notably Global Formation: Structures of The World-Economy, a major theoretical synthesis and restatement of the world-systems approach to the study of social change.
- Chase - Dunn Ch. K. (1975), 'The Effects of International Economic Dependence on Development and Inequality: a Cross - national Study' American Sociological Review, 40: 720 - 738.
- Chase - Dunn Ch. K. (1983), 'The Kernel of the Capitalist World Economy: Three Approaches' in 'Contending Approaches to World System Analysis' (Thompson W.R. (Ed.)), pp. 55 – 78, Beverly Hills: Sage.
- Chase - Dunn Ch. K. (1984), 'The World - System Since 1950: What Has Really Changed?' in 'Labor in the Capitalist World - Economy' (Bergquist Ch. (Ed.)), pp. 75 – 104, Beverly Hills: Sage.
- Chase - Dunn Ch. K. (1991), 'Global Formation: Structures of the World Economy' London, Oxford and New York: Basil Blackwell.
- Chase - Dunn Ch. K. (1992a), 'The National State as an Agent of Modernity' Problems of Communism, January - April: 29 - 37.
- Chase - Dunn Ch. K. (1992b), 'The Changing Role of Cities in World Systems' in 'Waves, Formations and Values in the World System' (Bornschier V. and Lengyel P. (Eds.)), pp. 51 – 87, New Brunswick and London: Transaction Publishers.
- Chase - Dunn Ch. K. (Ed.), (1982), 'Socialist States in the World System' Beverly Hills and London: Sage.
- Chase - Dunn Ch. K. and Babones S. B. (2006), ‘Global Social Change. Historical and Comparative Perspectives’ Baltimore, Maryland: The Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Chase - Dunn Ch. K. and Grimes P. (1995), ‘World - Systems Analysis’ Annual Review of Sociology, 21: 387 - 417.
- Chase - Dunn Ch. K. and Hall Th. D. (1997), ‘Rise and Demise. Comparing World - Systems’ Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press.
- Chase - Dunn Ch. K. and Podobnik B. (1995), ‘The Next World War: World - System Cycles and Trends’ Journal of World Systems Research 1, 6 (unpaginated electronic journal at website of the World System Network: http://jwsr.ucr.edu/)%5Bpermanent+dead+link%5D.
- Chase-Dunn, Ch. (2010) Globalization from Below: Toward a Democratic Global Commonwealth. Journal of Globalization Studies. Volume 1, Number 1 / May 2010. pp. 46–57
- "Christopher Chase-Dunn". Paradigm Publishers. Retrieved December 13, 2010.
- "Christopher Chase-Dunn". University of California-Riverside. Retrieved December 13, 2010.
- Journal of World-Systems Research. (2017). Journal History. Retrieved from http://jwsr.pitt.edu/ojs/index.php/jwsr/about/history
- American Sociological Association. (2017). Journals. Retrieved from http://www.asanet.org/research-and-publications/journals
- Chase-Dunn, Christopher (1991). Global Formation: Structures of the World-Economy. Blackwell Pub. ISBN 1557862737.