Christian Friedrich (baseball)
Friedrich on June 19, 2012
Born: July 8, 1987|
|May 9, 2012, for the Colorado Rockies|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2016 season)
|Earned run average||5.37|
Christian Louis Patrick Friedrich (born July 8, 1987) is an American professional baseball pitcher who is a free agent. He made his Major League Baseball (MLB) debut with the Colorado Rockies in 2012 and also played with the San Diego Padres.
Friedrich attended Loyola Academy in Wilmette, Illinois, and Eastern Kentucky University, where he played for the Eastern Kentucky Colonels baseball team. He was named a Baseball America Freshman All-American in 2006. He was also named a second-team All-American in 2008.
Friedrich was drafted by the Colorado Rockies in the first round, with the 25th overall selection, of the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft. Baseball America ranked Friedrich as the #95 best prospect in baseball prior to the 2009 season and the 33rd best prior to the 2010 season.
The Rockies added Friedrich to their 40-man roster after the 2011 season to protect him from the Rule 5 draft. He was called up on May 7, 2012, to make his major league debut against the San Diego Padres on May 9, 2012. During a game against the Milwaukee Brewers, Friedrich threw a wild pitch with the bases loaded; the ensuing comedy of errors saw all three runners score. On August 3, it was announced that an MRI revealed a stress fracture in his lower back, ending his season. Friedrich was 5-8 with a 6.17 earned run average in 16 starts, and had 74 strikeouts in 84 2⁄3 innings.
Colorado designated Friedrich for assignment on January 28, 2016. He was claimed by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim on February 5. On February 19, the claim was reversed, and Friedrich was sent back to the Rockies. He was released the same day.
San Diego Padres
Friedrich signed with the San Diego Padres on a minor league deal on March 3, 2016. The Padres promoted him to the major leagues on May 13. He became a free agent after the team outrighted him on October 30, 2017.
- "Christian Friedrich: Loyola Academy product to make first major league start". tribunedigital-chicagotribune. Retrieved February 5, 2016.
- "Hankins earns Baseball America Freshman All-America honors » Clarksville, TN Online". Clarksvilleonline.com. July 6, 2011. Retrieved November 18, 2011.
- "EKU's Friedrich named 2nd-team All-American". Wkyt.com. May 29, 2008. Retrieved November 18, 2011.
- "Rockies select LHP Christian Friedrich in first round of 2008 MLB First-Year Player Draft | ColoradoRockies.com: Official Info" (Press release). Mlb.mlb.com. January 1, 2011. Retrieved November 18, 2011.
- "Prospects: Rankings: Top 100 Prospects: Top 100 Prospects: No. 81-100". BaseballAmerica.com. February 24, 2009. Retrieved November 18, 2011.
- "Prospects: Rankings: Top 100 Prospects: Top 100 Prospects: No. 21-40". BaseballAmerica.com. February 23, 2010. Retrieved November 18, 2011.
- "Rockies add two to 40-man roster, outright Brown | ColoradoRockies.com: News" (Press release). Colorado.rockies.mlb.com. November 18, 2011. Retrieved November 18, 2011.
- Renck, Troy E. (May 7, 2012). "Rockies will add Alex White, Christian Friedrich to pitching rotation". Denver Post.
- Renck, Troy E. (August 3, 2012). "Rockies pitcher Christian Friedrich done for season". Denver Post.
- "Rays get OF Dickerson from Rockies for reliever McGee". ESPN.com. Associated Press. January 28, 2016. Retrieved January 29, 2016.
- "Angels add LH reliever Christian Friedrich, DFA Taylor Featherston". The Orange County Register. Retrieved February 5, 2016.
- Todd, Jeff (October 30, 2017). "Jarred Cosart, Christian Friedrich Elect Free Agency After Clearing Outright Waivers". MLB Trade Rumors. Retrieved October 30, 2017.