Colón with the Omaha Storm Chasers in 2014
|New York Mets|
|Shortstop / Second baseman|
Born: May 14, 1989|
Cayey, Puerto Rico
|July 1, 2014, for the Kansas City Royals|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2017 season)
|Runs batted in||25|
|Career highlights and awards|
Christian Anthony Colón (born May 14, 1989) is a Puerto Rican professional baseball shortstop and second baseman in the New York Mets organization. He previously played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Kansas City Royals, and Miami Marlins.
Colón attended Midway High School in Waco, Texas, as a freshman, and Taylorsville High School in Taylorsville, Utah, for his sophomore season, before his family moved to California. He then attended Canyon High School in Anaheim, California. Colón was drafted in the tenth round of the 2007 MLB Draft by the San Diego Padres. He chose instead to attend California State University, Fullerton, where he played college baseball for the Cal State Fullerton Titans baseball team.
Kansas City Royals
With the Titans, Colón was an All-American shortstop. He was then selected with the fourth overall pick of the 2010 MLB Draft by the Kansas City Royals. Colón was added to the 40-man roster on November 20, 2013.
Colón batted .296 for the Omaha Storm Chasers of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League in 2014, before he was promoted to the major leagues on June 30. After entering the 2014 American League Wild Card Game as a pinch hitter, he knocked in the tying run on an infield single and scored the winning run on a single by Salvador Pérez.
Colón served as a utility player during the 2015 season. He entered Game 5 of the 2015 World Series (his first appearance in the playoffs) in the top of the 12th as a pinch hitter. After not making a plate appearance for four weeks, he hit a single to score Jarrod Dyson for the winning run to clinch the World Series, marking the first time in history that a player in his first at bat in a World Series delivered the Series-winning run.
In 2017, Raúl A. Mondesí won the Royals' starting second baseman position, and Colón competed with Whit Merrifield for a role on the Opening Day roster. The Royals included Colón on the Opening Day roster, but designated him for assignment on May 10.
On December 6, 2017, Colón signed a minor league deal with the Atlanta Braves. He was released on May 9, 2018.
New York Mets
On May 18, 2018, Colón signed a minor league deal with the New York Mets.
- "Pro baseball notebook: Midway ex Colon impresses in MLB debut | Sports". wacotrib.com. July 6, 2014. Retrieved May 17, 2017.
- Fitt, Aaron (August 24, 2009). "College: Summer Scene: Summer Stock: Brain And Brawn". BaseballAmerica.com. Retrieved May 17, 2017.
- Williams, Carter (August 16, 2015). "Utahns in baseball: Christian Colon relishes return to Utah; Kintzler optioned to Triple-A". Deseret News. Retrieved May 17, 2017.
- "Colon enjoys experience". Orange County Register. June 2, 2007. Retrieved May 17, 2017.
- Denis Savage. "Padres Draft Interview: Christian Colon - San Diego". Scout. Retrieved May 17, 2017.
- "Royals opt for shortstop Colon with top pick". MLB.com. Retrieved November 2, 2015.
- "Royals add four to 40-man roster, drop three". MLB.com. November 20, 2013. Retrieved December 14, 2013.
- "Royals bring back Raul Ibanez and call up Christian Colon". Kansas City Star. Retrieved November 2, 2015.
- 1:16 AM ET (October 1, 2014). "Baseball's AL Wild-Card Game Was Indeed Wild : The Two-Way". NPR. Retrieved May 17, 2017.
- Mike Oz (November 2, 2015). "In his only at-bat of the postseason, Christian Colon delivers the Royals' biggest hit". Sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved May 17, 2017.
- Dodd, Rustin (April 4, 2017). "Caught in roster crunch, Royals' Christian Colon prepared family for 'anything' | The Kansas City Star". Kansascity.com. Retrieved May 17, 2017.
- Grathoff, Pete (May 10, 2017). "Royals fans say goodbye to Christian Colon | The Kansas City Star". Kansascity.com. Retrieved May 17, 2017.
- Dodd, Rustin. "Miami Marlins claim former Royals IF Christian Colon off waivers | The Kansas City Star". Kansascity.com. Retrieved May 17, 2017.
- Adams, Steve (June 23, 2017). "Marlins Designate Christian Colon For Assignment". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved June 23, 2017.