Noth in 2008
Christopher David Noth|
November 13, 1954
Madison, Wisconsin, U.S.
|Other names||Christopher Noth|
Marlboro College (BA)|
Yale University (MFA)
Tara Wilson (m. 2012)
Christopher David "Chris" Noth (// NOHTH; born November 13, 1954) is an American actor. He is known for his television roles as Detective Mike Logan on Law & Order (1990–95), Big on Sex and the City (1998–2004), and Peter Florrick on The Good Wife (2009–16). He reprised his role of Mike Logan on Law & Order: Criminal Intent (2005–08), and reprised his role of Big in the films, Sex and the City (2008) and Sex and the City 2 (2010). He was nominated for the Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actor on Television for Sex and the City in 1999 and for The Good Wife in 2010. Chris Noth also studied acting at The Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theatre in New York City. He also portrayed Pompey the Great, in the 2003 miniseries Julius Caesar.
Noth was born in Madison, Wisconsin, the youngest of three sons of Jeanne L. Parr (March 30, 1924 – May 20, 2016), later a CBS News correspondent, and Charles James Noth, an insurance salesman turned marketing-company executive who died after a car accident in 1966.
Noth has German, Irish and English ancestry. During childhood, Noth traveled with his mother and brothers throughout the United Kingdom, Spain and Czechoslovakia. Chris reminds people that his last name rhymes with "both."
Noth spent part of his undergraduate years at Marlboro College, where he built a cabin for himself. He earned an MFA from the Yale School of Drama in 1985, where he acted in some 25 plays and was a pupil of acting coach Sanford Meisner.
Noth played small parts in films, including Smithereens (1982) and Baby Boom (1987) before his first starring role in the low-budget 1988 film Peluru dan Wanita (Bullets & Women) in Indonesia. Noth joined the cast of Hill Street Blues in the sixth season in 1986, where he was billed as "Christopher Noth." He also appeared in Another World. He filmed a pilot for the legal/police drama series Law & Order in 1988. In 1990 NBC began airing the show, which slowly gained recognition from critics and fans. Noth was fired from the show in 1995. Personality differences between Noth and L&O creator/executive producer Dick Wolf settled down long enough to film a TV movie, Exiled: A Law & Order Movie (1998).
In 1998 Noth returned to prime-time television when he took the role of Carrie Bradshaw's enigmatic on-again, off-again boyfriend "Big" on HBO's Sex and the City. He played the role for six years, during which he also appeared in a small role as Helen Hunt's husband in the hit film Cast Away (2000), and starred in a Broadway revival of The Best Man. In 2001 he played an FBI agent on a three-episode arc of Crossing Jordan, re-uniting him with Law & Order co-star, Jill Hennessy. Noth returned to the role of Mike Logan on Law & Order: Criminal Intent in 2005, joining the show in its fifth season following a guest appearance on a fourth-season episode. On this spin-off of the original Law & Order, Noth's detective team alternated episodes with Vincent D'Onofrio and Kathryn Erbe's characters. On June 26, 2008, it was announced that Noth was leaving the series, and that Jeff Goldblum would be joining the cast.
Noth reprised the role of Big for the Sex and the City film, released on May 30, 2008. and its 2010 sequel. Noth starred with Julianna Margulies in the CBS series The Good Wife, which debuted on September 22, 2009. Also in 2009, Noth became the spokesperson for the North American market for the Biotherm line of male skin-care products.
Noth starred in a revival of Gore Vidal's 1960 Broadway play The Best Man in 2000, and also starred in a Broadway revival of the 1972 play That Championship Season in 2011, playing Phil Romano, a role originated by his one-time Law & Order co-star Paul Sorvino. In 2013 he appeared in the Napa Valley, California, theater festival Plaza Del Sol with other performers including Dennis Haysbert.
Noth met his wife, actress Tara Lynn Wilson, while she was working the bar at The Cutting Room. The couple began dating in 2002. Their son, Orion Christopher Noth, was born in January 2008, and the couple married on April 6, 2012.
Noth also owned the semi-private club The Plumm with, among others, David Wells, Damon Dash, Joey McIntyre, and Bo Dietl. Noth and Wilson owned Once Upon a Tea Cup, a tea-party themed restaurant franchise with branches in Windsor and London, Ontario (both locations now closed).
He frequents Da Marino in New York City, where he has performed as a singer.
|1986||Off Beat||Ely Wareham, Jr.|
|1987||Baby Boom||Yuppie Husband|
|1988||Peluru dan Wanita||Falco|
|1993||Naked in New York||Jason Brett|
|1995||Burnzy's Last Call||Kevin|
|1995||Nothing Last Forever||Dr. Ken Mallory|
|1997||Cold Around the Heart||T|
|1998||The Broken Giant||Jack Frey|
|1999||Getting to Know You||Sonny|
|1999||A Texas Funeral||Clinton|
|2000||The Acting Class||Martin Ballsac|
|2000||Cast Away||Jerry Lovett|
|2001||Double Whammy||Chick Dimitri|
|2001||The Glass House||Uncle Jack|
|2002||Searching for Paradise||Michael De Santis|
|2004||Tooth Fairy||Dad||Short film|
|2005||The Perfect Man||Ben Cooper|
|2008||Sex and the City||Mr. Big|
|2008||Frame of Mind||Steve Lynde|
|2009||My One and Only||Harlan|
|2010||Sex and the City 2||Mr. Big|
|2010||Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths||Lex Luthor (voice)|
|2010||Sure Fire Hit||Tony|
|2011||From Up on Poppy Hill||Akio Kazama (voice)|
|2012||3,2,1... Frankie Go Boom||Jack|
|2014||Elsa & Fred||Jack|
|2015||After the Ball||Lee Kassell|
|2016||White Girl||George Fratelli|
|1986||Killer in the Mirror||Johnny Mathews||Television movie|
|1986||Hill Street Blues||Officer Ron Lipsky||3 episodes|
|1986||Apology||Roy Burnette||Television movie|
|1987||At Mother's Request||Steve Klein||Television movie|
|1987||I'll Take Manhattan||Fred Knox||Television movie|
|1989||Monsters||The Devil||Episode: "Satan in the Suburbs"|
|1990–1995||Law & Order||Mike Logan||111 episodes|
|1993||With Harmful Intent||Dr. Ferries||Television movie|
|1994||Where Are My Children?||Cliff Vernon||Television movie|
|1995||Homicide: Life on the Street||Mike Logan||Episode: "Law & Disorder"|
|1996||Abducted: A Father's Love||Larry Coster||Television movie|
|1996||Born Free: A New Adventure||Dr. David Thompson||Television movie|
|1997||Rough Riders||Craig Wadsworth||Television movie|
|1997||Touched by an Angel||Carl Atwater||Episode: "Full Moon"|
|1997||Medusa's Child||Tony DiStefano||Television movie|
|1998–2004||Sex and the City||Mr. Big||41 episodes|
|1998||Exiled: A Law & Order Movie||Mike Logan||Television movie|
|2001||Crossing Jordan||FBI Special Agent Drew Haley||2 episodes|
|2001||The Judge||Paul Madriani||Television movie|
|2003||Julius Caesar||Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus||Television miniseries|
|2004||Bad Apple||Mike Tozzi||Television movie|
|2005–2008||Law & Order: Criminal Intent||Mike Logan||36 episodes|
|2009–2016||The Good Wife||Peter Florrick||101 episodes|
|2012||Titanic: Blood and Steel||J. P. Morgan||6 episodes|
|2016||Tyrant||General Cogswell||10 episodes|
|2017||Manhunt: Unabomber||Don Ackerman||7 episodes|
|2017–2018||Gone||FBI Agent Frank Booth||Lead role; 12 episodes|
Awards and nominations
- "Chris Noth". TVGuide.com. Archived from the original on March 5, 2016. Retrieved March 14, 2016.
- "Chris Noth Biography (1957?–)". FilmReference.com. Retrieved March 14, 2016.
Full name, Christopher David Noth; born November 13, 1957 (some sources cite 1954 or 1956), in Madison, WI...
- "Charles James Noth". The New York Times. March 15, 1966. Archived from the original on March 4, 2016.
Surviving are his widow, who is Jeanne Parr, the television weather reporter on Channel 2; three sons, Charles James 2nd, Michael and Christopher....(subscription required)
- "Mr. Big Chris Noth drops 20 pounds for 'Sex and the City 2'". IrishCentral.com. 2010-02-21. Retrieved 2016-10-30.
- Starpulse.com Retrieved June 21, 2010
- Yahoo Movies Archived October 2, 2009, at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved June 21, 2010
- Stated in interview on Inside the Actors Studio
- Vancouver Sun Archived August 22, 2012, at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved June 21, 2010
- "Jeff Goldblum Has 'Criminal Intent,'Chris Noth leaving 'Law & Order' series". Zap2it. Retrieved 2008-06-26.
- Yahoo news: "More 'Sex' puts Big on big screen" Retrieved June 21, 2010
- Cosmetics mag Retrieved June 21, 2010
- Cutting Room web site Archived May 4, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- Meredith Goldstein & Christopher Muther (2007-10-07). "Grab a bite at a star-owned eatery". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 2016-03-26.
- Sydney Morning Herald Retrieved June 21, 2010
- Lee, Linda (May 12, 2002). "GOOD COMPANY; There's a Party (and a Host) Somewhere Around Here". The New York Times. Retrieved April 29, 2010.
- Caplan, David (2008-01-20). "Chris Noth & His Girlfriend Have a Boy". People. Retrieved 2016-03-26.
- Chris Noth & His Girlfriend Have a Boy people.com; retrieved June 21, 2010.
- Baltimore Sun Retrieved June 21, 2010
- Jordan, Julie; Lehner, Marla (2012-04-11). "Chris Noth Is Married". People. Retrieved 2016-03-26.
- "Chris Noth". Cityfile. Archived from the original on June 22, 2011. Retrieved 2010-05-30.
- Chris Noth Biography – Yahoo! Movies Archived October 2, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- Once Upon a Tea Cup; retrieved June 21, 2010.
- Jeryl Brunner (2011). My City, My New York: Famous New Yorkers Share Their Favorite Places. Globe Pequot. p. 63. ISBN 9780762777167. Retrieved November 14, 2013.
- Austin Smith (September 29, 2010). "Chris Noth has second calling as singer". PageSix. Retrieved November 14, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (November 30, 2016). "NBCU International Studios, RTL & TF1 Greenlight 'Gone' Procedural Drama Series Starring Chris Noth". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 14, 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chris Noth.|