Chicken balls are a food consisting of small, spherical or nearly spherical pieces of chicken. They are prepared and eaten in several different cuisines.
In Western Chinese cuisine
Chicken balls (Chinese: 鸡球; pinyin: jī qiú) are a type of modern Chinese food served in Canada, Ireland, United States, and the United Kingdom as a staple of Chinese take-out. The dish consists of small chunks of fried chicken breast meat covered in a crispy batter coating. They are often served with curry sauce, sweet and sour sauce or plum sauce. These are largely unheard of in China, depending on the recipe and referred name.
In East and Southeast Asian cuisines
In other cuisines
- Susan Sampson (2007-12-12). "Great balls of flavour". Toronto Star. Retrieved 2007-12-20.
She rounded out the theme with recipes for ... pecan-crusted chicken balls...
- Terence Corcoran (2007-11-23). "Toronto street-food project half-baked at best". National Post. Archived from the original on 2012-04-02. Retrieved 2007-12-20.
- "Shanghai palace offers foodie feasts". Calgary Sun. 2005-03-04.
...reminiscent of those deep fried chicken balls I do my best to avoid.
- Menu for Beijing Cuisine restaurant in Blackwater, Surrey, England
- Oliver Moore (2007-11-29). "The friendly skies of Moncton" (fee required). The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2007-12-20.
I say, 'It's chicken balls' and they say, 'We've never seen that in China.'(registration required)
- Saleema Devi Refran (2002-09-25). "Making 'tusok-tusok' the fishballs". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved 2007-12-20.
- Patricia Wells (1993-11-15). "Rating the World's Best Restaurants:Tokyo". International Herald Tribune. Archived from the original on 2007-09-12. Retrieved 2007-12-20.
- Marian Burros (1982-03-31). "Distinctive foods of the Italian Jews". The New York Times. Retrieved 2007-12-20.
- Yasmine El-Rashidi (2003-10-30). "Pull up a chair". Al-Ahram Weekly. Retrieved 2007-12-20.
- Gail Collins (1999-11-23). "Pre-2K Thanksgiving". The New York Times. Retrieved 2007-12-20.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chicken balls.|